New build queries

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Hi, First can I remind everyone that I am a bit of a novice at the PC game. I've managed to start up but have a couple of questions. When I first turned it on then all the fans lit up colourful. Having booted into windows and now logged and done all the windows updates, the three front and the three side ones no longer light up. What would I need to do to turn them back on?

Let me apologise in advance as I will probably ask many questions!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi, First can I remind everyone that I am a bit of a novice at the PC game. I've managed to start up but have a couple of questions. When I first turned it on then all the fans lit up colourful. Having booted into windows and now logged and done all the windows updates, the three front and the three side ones no longer light up. What would I need to do to turn them back on?

No worries mate, it's likely the settings in iCue or Armoury Crate. These two programs generally control the RGB so if you tinker around in there it's probably just a default profile with no RGB set yet

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
No worries mate, it's likely the settings in iCue or Armoury Crate. These two programs generally control the RGB so if you tinker around in there it's probably just a default profile with no RGB set yet
cheers. That seemed to work. I will have to learn alot about different setting etc. I'm just scared of breaking anything.

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
So this is my spec.

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
Non Required
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NONE
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days

Updated Windows. Now I've seen that I should check that my GPU drivers and Chipset drivers are upto date.

Is it just a question of going to the website and putting in my card/ chip details?

Also best practice to install steam etc should I put the steam installer on the Windows drive and the install the games to the additional drive?

Thank you again.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

No need to apologise for asking questions

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So this is my spec.

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
Non Required
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NONE
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days

Updated Windows. Now I've seen that I should check that my GPU drivers and Chipset drivers are upto date.

Is it just a question of going to the website and putting in my card/ chip details?

Also best practice to install steam etc should I put the steam installer on the Windows drive and the install the games to the additional drive?

Thank you again.
Damn that's a serious build mate

Things like Steam I would put on the 2TB Intel Drive. Although it wouldn't hurt to put them on the 500GB 980 Pro.

Basically you want to keep the OS Drive/Boot drive below 60% full to make sure you get the full speed of the 980 Pro on the OS. So you can install what you like on there but make sure to keep it under 60%

EDIT removing my nonsense

Last edited:

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Damn that's a serious build mate

Things like Steam I would put on the 2TB Intel Drive. Although it wouldn't hurt to put them on the 500GB 980 Pro.

Basically you want to keep the OS Drive/Boot drive below 60% full to make sure you get the full speed of the 980 Pro on the OS. So you can install what you like on there but make sure to keep it under 60%

Chipset drivers should be up to date mate and yes you can get GPU drivers from Nvidia direct by installing Nvidia Experience
Cheers. The desktop came with GEforce and AMD Ryzen Master. So I should use those just to make sure everything is up to date. One odd problem I have is because I have two 2TB drives they are set up under Windows and simply named New Volume. I shall rename them but first of all have to work out which on is which! Any ideas?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cheers. The desktop came with GEforce and AMD Ryzen Master. So I should use those just to make sure everything is up to date. One odd problem I have is because I have two 2TB drives they are set up under Windows and simply named New Volume. I shall rename them but first of all have to work out which on is which! Any ideas?
Yeah if you right click on them and go to properties it should tell you which one is which

One is the mechanical 2TB HDD (The slow storage drive)

The other is the M.2 SSD Intel 670p (The faster drive to help with load times)

There should also be a 500GB OS Drive on there too when you're looking

It'll likely be basic GeForce Ndivia drivers installed by Windows mate

You want to download Nvidia Experience to make sure you have the correct GPU drivers installed and make sure they are up to date. See below link

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Chipset drivers will usually NOT be up to date, and have to be manually installed, windows installs the incorrect ones by default:

Ryzen Master is a CPU tool to adjust overclocks and stuff, doesn't do any driver updates.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Apologies I'm out of the loop on that one
They SHOULD be updated, it's a fundamental driver that windows should be applying automatically but for whatever reason, it's almost always out of date without manual installation. I'm not sure where the fault lies, if with Microsoft or AMD, but hopefully it gets addressed in the future.

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Can you take a screenshot of your windows update page?
1628431613694.png

Could I have download the wrong package?