New card to improve performance with BF3 and generally

Cassick

Hello All

I recently bought BF3 and it runs okay at low and in some cases medium settings, but I was wondering if up grading to a better graphics card would help improve performance much. I can’t add more ram. Any suggestion of which card would be good to get and how much it would cost would be appreciated.

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo E8300 (2 X 2.83GHz) 1333MHz FSB/6MB L2 Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® P5N-D: DDR2, SATAII, 2 x PCI-e x16, 2 PCI, 2 x PCI-e x1
Memory (RAM) 3GB
Graphics Card 512MB GEFORCE 8800GT PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

Thanks

Cassick

Corfate

Author Level
Adding onto what Tom said, i found when i upgraded to a 7850, my dual core 260 bottlenecked it like crazy!

A good card to run on the dual core was a 6670 :) (ran bf3 at med)

baron75mk2

Banned
A new GPU will almost definitely improve gaming performance , but as tom_gr7 has stated the CPU may bottleneck the GPU , resulting in little performance gain

Also as Rubensolo has asked make sure your PSU has enough power to run the new GPU (if you in fact purchase one that is , taking in to account the above)

Buzz

Master
Yeh its kinda like already said. If you upgrade the graphics card the Cpu will almost certainly bottleneck, but as it is now the GPU in a way is gonna bottleneck.

IMHO Your options are

Upgrade both GPU and CPU (Possibly power supply) and then @ this stage your almost at a full new build lol

Upgrade GPU and get a little performance increase but for the cost of a new GPU would it be worth it when the CPU will end up bottlenecked on a game like BF3

Upgrade your RAM with another Gig stick and put on 64bit windows.

The 3rd option is one am throwing in there because if you happened to have a copy of 64bit windows then 1gig of Ram is by far the cheapest option to gain a little performance boost coinciding with the windows 64bit operating system.

Cassick

6670 0r GT-640 Could you be a bit more specific on the name and make--sorry, I'm not as clued up as you people. So, would you say it was worth getting one of these cards or do I have to check somehow to make sure there'll be an improvement?

Thanks

Cassick

Cassick

Looking at that I think putting up with performance until I can get a new machine is the best option.

Thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
Looking at that I think putting up with performance until I can get a new machine is the best option.
Yes, I'd say that would be the best option, means you can save that money for a brand new machine :)

PokerFace

Banned

Thanks

Depending how long you think it might be before you were able to buy a new machine and how badly your graphics are at the moment, another option could be to buy a better graphics card now and see how that goes. If the improvement was not very much, you could put the new card away and save it to install in your new machine. If the performance was improved quite a bit, then leave it in your machine until you buy a new pc then swop it over.