New comp old HDD

Mick03

hi,
due to a recent computer death (mobo and Ram) at my home I have had to get a new machine . I purchased a new machine from here and was hoping to put my old HDD in to the new machine and just have to update drivers to continue it use. The old hard drive is fine (can be seen as a extra HDD in my computer and have used in other machine so I know its not damaged) but in new machine it gets to windows load screen and crashed/reboots.

I am not sure what I can do to get it to boot. it has done a recovery but its not helped.

is there anything I can do to get it to boot?

thanks
Mick

btw the os on the HDD is win7

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The old hdd will have drivers of the old motherboard installed. Have you try a clean installation of windows?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The old hdd will have drivers of the old motherboard installed. Have you try a clean installation of windows?

And not only that. When you install Windows, as well as installing drivers specific for that machine, Windows add/updates a great many registry entries that "describe" the hardware features of that machine to Windows. So trying to boot a Windows installation from one PC into a different PC will always result in problems.

Keynes is right, you should always do a clean install on a new PC/laptop.

Mick03

I was hoping to avoid it but if it the only option I'll have to bite the bullet and get on with it. Thanks for the advice.