New Cooler

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
No - providing the cooler or the act of installing your cooler doesn't break the computer. :)

Josephh

But the cooler I want to install requries me to take the motherboard out to install a backplate, will I void my warranty then?

Tom DWC

To quote from the FAQs:

If you add a component to your computer and all goes well, you will still have a warranty. In any other circumstance, your warranty will be void.

So no, you won't void your warranty unless something goes wrong. That's far more flexible than most warranties but you are of course going to have to be careful.

Josephh

You understand that we have over 30 different measures in place to detect if a component has been moved/removed and if you have moved/removed a component, your warranty will be void. You are only entitled to add extra components to your computer.

I'll be putting the component back, will that still void it? Please excuse my worries, I've just spent too much to go ahead and void my warranty.

Tom DWC

All that means is, if anything were to happen, and something was found to have been moved, your warranty will be void. If you move/remove a component and nothing happens, you'll still be covered.

Please excuse my worries, I've just spent too much to go ahead and void my warranty.

Oh absolutely, I understand completely and it's sensible to double check.

Just out of interest, do you have any experience with PC modifications?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
"No - providing the cooler or the act of installing your cooler doesn't break the computer"
"So no, you won't void your warranty unless something goes wrong"
The word oxymoron springs to mind.

Tom DWC

I can't see the contradiction, as those were two seperate posts and the latter wasn't a response to the first.

That or I've clearly misunderstood you. Get it. :p

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I can't see the contradiction, as those were two seperate posts and the latter wasn't a response to the first.

That or I've clearly misunderstood you. Get it. :p
Nope,they are clearly two statements that make very little sense.I am not saying the two quotes are contradictary.they just dont make sense
both are oxymorons.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Nope,they are clearly two statements that make very little sense.I am not saying the two quotes are contradictary.they just dont make sense
both are oxymorons.

They're not oxymorons, they're just statements saying that the warranty will be valid unless you break something, an oxymoron is something that means two opposite things like bittersweet.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
They're not oxymorons, they're just statements saying that the warranty will be valid unless you break something, an oxymoron is something that means two opposite things like bittersweet.
I have the greatest respect for you,tom dwc & pcs,but i know what an oxymoron is,it's a contradiction of terms usually in the one sentence or word as you quoted "bittersweet" now the statement "you won't void your warranty unless something goes wrong" is a stonewaller,if a salesman said that to me i would be seriously thinking he was extracting the water.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
OK, to rephrase it -

You won't void your warranty if something goes wrong of its own accord. However, if it is a result of user intervention, then the warranty will be void.

That's actually pretty flexible considering most manufacturers would void your warranty the moment the PC was opened, let alone modified. Of course it does carry an element of risk which is why I would always advise a degree of caution but the OP seems to have plenty of experience.
Yes, i see tom,sorry for being a pain in the butt, i just cant help myself sometimes.