New defiance II - Wierd piece of plastic sticking out plus other issues

Hello,

I received my 14" defiance II last night. I found this weird bit of clear plastic sticking out from the left side of the laptop. I tried yanking it out but it wouldn't budge. Should I open the laptop and remove it? The fan keeps turning on and off even when the laptop is idle and this piece of plastic may be the culprit.

Is this a standard thing or a botched up build?

Secondly, the speakers work fine but the headphone jack doesn't seem to be working. When I plug a headphone jack, the realtek tool pops up and asks if a headphone has been plugged. I click yes, but there isn't any sound from the headphones. Am I doing something incorrectly? I'm a linux user and it's been ages since I used windows. Is there anyway I can check if this is a hardware or software fault?

EDIT: Fixed the headphone jack issue. Apparently the audio output was set to optical by default. I had to find and switch to the headphone jack manually.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20161006_110107.jpg
    IMG_20161006_110107.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You can open it up without voiding your warranty, it might just be a bit that got stuck and was missed by QA. If it's more than that give PCS a call.

rav007

Enthusiast
That clear plastic looks like the plastic tape that they use to stick the clear plastic over the lid, at least to me it does