New Defiance inbuilt speakers automatically attenuate music volume when it's loud

djsubtronic

Silver Level Poster
Since upgrading from the old Defiance XS from 2017 which did not have this issue, I'm noticing that regardless of what audio driver I use, when the volume is "loud" or there is a lot of bass (which isn't even audible, but the audio signal is there), the speakers automatically drop volume, I guess to prevent distortion. This is noticeable if you have a song with a beat that has a quieter part, and the laptop volume is at 100, the quiet part will suddenly become louder, and as soon as the beat starts again it will attentuate. While attenuated there isn't any difference in the volume between say 50% and 100% because at 100% it's attentuated anyway. Hope this makes sense?

My question is, is this controlled at driver level or hardware level, and is there any way to stop it?

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
I saw that the Defiance laptops come with "Sound Blaster Atlas" as part of the purchase. If that's installed, it might be a setting known as "Smart Volume", which tends to dynamically adjust the sound levels. As far as I'm aware, Sound Blaster's audio panel tends to take priority over your existing audio drivers/software. I had a similar issue with the Creative Sound Blaster application when I first received my laptop back in 2019. If it is installed, turn off Smart Volume and see if that solves the issue for you.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Since upgrading from the old Defiance XS from 2017 which did not have this issue, I'm noticing that regardless of what audio driver I use, when the volume is "loud" or there is a lot of bass (which isn't even audible, but the audio signal is there), the speakers automatically drop volume, I guess to prevent distortion. This is noticeable if you have a song with a beat that has a quieter part, and the laptop volume is at 100, the quiet part will suddenly become louder, and as soon as the beat starts again it will attentuate. While attenuated there isn't any difference in the volume between say 50% and 100% because at 100% it's attentuated anyway. Hope this makes sense?

My question is, is this controlled at driver level or hardware level, and is there any way to stop it?
I'd bet a pound of fluff to a pinch of snuff that this is either a software or driver effect. I can't see this being a hardware feature.

Since you seem to have tried different drivers perhaps it's either Windows itself or whatever audio player you're using? Or the SoundBlaster Atlas feature mentioned by @DarkPaladin?

I'd have a look around the WIndows sound settings; Settings > System > Sound > Sound Control Panel, then select your output device and click the Properties button. Check in the Enhancements and Advanced tabs to see whether any settings in there make a difference. Also check the settings in your audio player.

djsubtronic

Silver Level Poster
I saw that the Defiance laptops come with "Sound Blaster Atlas" as part of the purchase. If that's installed, it might be a setting known as "Smart Volume", which tends to dynamically adjust the sound levels. I had a similar issue with the Creative Sound Blaster application when I first received my laptop back in 2019. If it is installed, turn off Smart Volume and see if that solves the issue for you.
Thanks, but it's not that. Happens with or without Atlas, and whether that setting is on or off. It even happens with the basic windows "High Definition Audio" driver, so I'm wondering if it's done at hardware level.

djsubtronic

Silver Level Poster
I'd bet a pound of fluff to a pinch of snuff that this is either a software or driver effect. I can't see this being a hardware feature.

Since you seem to have tried different drivers perhaps it's either Windows itself or whatever audio player you're using? Or the SoundBlaster Atlas feature mentioned by @DarkPaladin?

I'd have a look around the WIndows sound settings; Settings > System > Sound > Sound Control Panel, then select your output device and click the Properties button. Check in the Enhancements and Advanced tabs to see whether any settings in there make a difference. Also check the settings in your audio player.
Yeah, even happens on the basic audio driver that comes with Windows, with or without software, all enhancements disabled, even tried changing things around in the advanced tab, everything. Also doesn't matter what app. Happens with media players, browser, etc.

Making this post was my last resort.