New defiance - um.. things don't work

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Just got a Defiance today.
First off I hate win 8.1
Don't know if I am doing something wrong or not but if when browsing through my files if I right click on any folder for options the window shuts itself down.

I can't right click anything without the window closing down! I've had this laptop for... 20 minutes now.

Another thing is the sound blaster - it gives me an error that it 'no audio device detected'.

JedLard

The sound blaster issue is well known and should be easy to solve. You need to install the drivers (on the disk included) in the order they appear - it should work then.

Have you installed all the other drivers?

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
I cannot install anything from the disks. The laptop didn't come with external DVD-rom.. which is a tad unusual.

Anyway, I phoned them up and they have sent me the files. I'll see if I sort this out.

JedLard

Or download them from the PCS site - by logging into your account.

I had a DVD of drivers which I copied to a USB - sorry to hear it was missed out. Hopefully once they are all installed it will work fine.

JedLard

Just re read your post. If you have the disk can you access an old pc to copy them onto a usb drive? It's just a copying of the files that's needed - no ripping

JedLard

This was from a post by MrDucking

"it was probably this: for x-fi to work you need to install realtek audio, hotkey and x-fi in that order."

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
I've logged into my account and am now downloading all the drivers one by one and installing them in that order. I'll see how it behaves after that.

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Right. Done reinstalling all drivers.
The sound blaster issue is fixed.

However the window shutting itself down when right clicking on any folder/file still persists. I don't know what to do.

mrducking

Bright Spark
Right. Done reinstalling all drivers.
The sound blaster issue is fixed.

However the window shutting itself down when right clicking on any folder/file still persists. I don't know what to do.

the window shutting itself seems like a problem related to windows, so the best course would be to google the problem to see if something shows up
it could also be some driver but I highly doubted

my bet is on something related to the explorer.exe process

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Solved!
The issue: Bullguard antivirus has an odd shell extension. I used shexview to disable odd shell extensions, turns out it was the pre-installed antivirus was crashing my window on right click.