New fan controller!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
evening all, looking to get a new fan controller due to the fact I'm really disappointed with the built in one on the cm storm sniper.

I have found it's perfectly fine if you just want to keep the original fans, or maybe add a extra one, but to connect a 4pin fan, ya have to get a 4 pin to 3pin cable, then a 3pin to molex cable, then plug it in. So you can imagine its a nightmare with cables round the back of the motherboard and behind the drive bays.

SO I'm on the lookout for a fan controller, for the minimum of 6 fans, but It MUST be able to take a 4 pin fans without fannying on extra cables! just want to plug the fans in, job done, also want it to fir on one drive bay,

these are what I have found so far, any suggestions will be awarded with rep! lol
Also any thoughts on the ones I have suggested will be appreciated

http://www.nesteq.net/gb/products/fancontrollers/fanmax/
http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?t...Fans&type_sub=Fan Controller&model=AK-FC-08BK
http://www.lamptron.com/products/view/Fan_Controller_FC8

thanks all!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i like the akasa one you choose (im surprised its not bright yellow) but the lamptron one has 8 ports, so its your choice

also how are you adding loads of fans to the sniper, there is only one empty space at the bottom

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yea I have seen that thread thanks pokerface.

wozza i have changed the 200mm side fan for two 120 akasa vipers, and have a 140mm fan on the bottom. I have a 120mm fan on a drive cage (changing to viper) on the front, but I can't connect up the viper on the drive cage, because I aint got enough places to connect 4 pin fans. Another reason I need a fan controller is the on built in the sniper is only for 4 fans, so I don't wanna blow it by putting too much strain on it.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ok fair enough, why dont you just do it via the computer, ie SpeedFan

never heard of it lol, i did try and put a 4pin fan in the motherboard, but it was going on full whack and kept crashing the pc. So wanna keep the strain off the motherboard.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
SpeedFan, controls all the fans connected to the motherboard

basically the same as a fan controller

tom_gr7

Life Serving
then connect some to the motherboard and the rest to the fan controller (built in)

lol cant they all 4 pin, apart from the two 200mm stock fans, and when I did connect one of the vipers to the motherboard it kept crashing on boot up.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i hope someone has a decent suggestion lol, the only fan controller I can find that takes 4pin fans, is the akasa one.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think all four pin fans are generally "pwm" fans (pulse width modulation) like a fan you would fine on the coolit eco.

This is how I understand it, a pwm fan has 4 pins, whereas a normal fan would be 3pin and controlled by lowering the voltage to the fan, like the fan controller on the sniper. But a pwm fan receives all the power all of the time, and is controlled by the motherboard through the 4th pin therefore its regulated to what speed to spin at. So for example for a push/pull config you would need two of the same pwm fans, connected to the cpu_fan header on the motherboard via a "pwm y cable"

But what I do not know is what is the power output of the sniper fan controller. I'm pretty sure even when its turned to full my akasa viper that is on that circuit is not on full spin. as its not as loud as the three vipers I have connected to my motherboard for the cpu.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
so basically the sniper fan controller is naf and doesnt work properly?

its the main reason im getting a sniper

PokerFace

Banned
yeah but it might require 4 to 3pin converter cables, whereas the akasa one doesn't it, but can only take four 4 pin fans.

The specs for the Nesteq link says "compatible to fans with 3-pin OR PWM connector". So I would think it would be fine.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
so basically the sniper fan controller is naf and doesnt work properly?

its the main reason im getting a sniper

no no not saying that at all. Its great if you want to keep the three 200mm fans, and only add one 140mm fan to the bottom. But what I have done is have two 200mm stock fans, one 140mm fan, and one 120mm akasa viper AND one extra 120mm coolermaster sickleflow fan in a drive bay. so what I am saying is I don't think it puts enough output to power 5 fans at full whack.

But I may be completely wrong, and if anyone disagrees please put me right lol.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The specs for the Nesteq link says "compatible to fans with 3-pin OR PWM connector". So I would think it would be fine.

lol can't find reviews for either fan controllers anywhere, wanna know for definite before i part with my cash lol