New gaming Desktop

avnpir

Bronze Level Poster
Can you recommend the app i should download for my new desktop? Gaming apps, apps for the RGB, Apps for the system etc

steaky360

Can you recommend the app i should download for my new desktop? Gaming apps, apps for the RGB, Apps for the system etc
Chuck up your full specs and we can advise.

All drivers etc. should come through windows update with the exception perhaps of your GPU drivers which you can get from nvidia/amd's website as needed.

For Games/etc. you can use the likes of Steam, GoG, Greenmangaming, Origin, Blizzard, Ubisoft, Epic.

avnpir

Bronze Level Poster
Chuck up your full specs and we can advise.

All drivers etc. should come through windows update with the exception perhaps of your GPU drivers which you can get from nvidia/amd's website as needed.

For Games/etc. you can use the likes of Steam, GoG, Greenmangaming, Origin, Blizzard, Ubisoft, Epic.
Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP (Xmas delivery not guaranteed)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Gavras

Master Poster
As above Windows Defender and being aware of sites you visit and what you download.

a proper backup process, using 2FA and password manager should always be used in addition to a virus defence.

invariably Virus defence, internet security can only protect a user so far.

Not clicking on unknown links, verifying websites, are two simple things that mean you do not need to rely on things like Windows Defender.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As above Windows Defender and being aware of sites you visit and what you download.

a proper backup process, using 2FA and password manager should always be used in addition to a virus defence.

invariably Virus defence, internet security can only protect a user so far.

Not clicking on unknown links, verifying websites, are two simple things that mean you do not need to rely on things like Windows Defender.
Regarding the backup process, it's wise to ensure that the backup device (whatever it happens to be) is only attached or reachable from your PC whilst it's being used to write the backup - to prevent against ransomware encrypting it as well.

I backup to a simple external HDD (as well as to the cloud). The HDD is on a USB controlled mains switch and I have a batch job that switches on the external HDD, waits for it to come online, fires up the backup tasks (there are two, run one after the other), and then switches off the external HDD. The batch job is run on a schedule via Task Manager. I have toyed with having the batch job disconnect the Internet first and reconnect it afterwards but I've not felt the need to go down that route yet. My disk image backup and file synchronised user data backups run for no more than around 12 minutes and I'll take that risk for now.