New Gaming Laptop

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm a current Octane II owner but am in the process of replacing it with this

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte 4K IPS LED Widescreen (3840x2160) (£99)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
Memory - Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 850 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 PORTS (1 x POWERED) + 1 e-SATA/USB 3.0 PORT COMBINED
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

I'll be adding my own OS and a second drive when it arrives. I've a 500gb SSD Evo 950 to use in it.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Ordered really hope this is as good as it looks. Went for the 4k screen figured the 1080 will be up to running it unless anyone thinks otherwise?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ordered really hope this is as good as it looks. Went for the 4k screen figured the 1080 will be up to running it unless anyone thinks otherwise?

I game at 4K with a 1080 and at the moment it handles everything I throw at it to max, but obviously that will deteriorate within a year as games become more demanding. Sli will be necessary to keep max settings going forward.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
I game at 4K with a 1080 and at the moment it handles everything I throw at it to max, but obviously that will deteriorate within a year as games become more demanding. Sli will be necessary to keep max settings going forward.

a year isn't a long time really for the price of this laptop. Don't think the Octane III even has the option for SLI. At lot of hype about these 10'series cards being almost same as desktop you'd think after hearing how they are better than titan x's they be current for a while longer.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
a year isn't a long time really for the price of this laptop. Don't think the Octane III even has the option for SLI. At lot of hype about these 10'series cards being almost same as desktop you'd think after hearing how they are better than titan x's they be current for a while longer.

How much is the laptop you posted? I assume a desktop is not an option?

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Octane III Screen info

Hi saw a few posts and was wondering as there's no more information if the Octane III screen was 120hz? Also is it G-Sync enabled?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi saw a few posts and was wondering as there's no more information if the Octane III screen was 120hz?

If you click on the interrogation sign it provides further information, it shows 60hz as the refresh rate.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
£1900 no I do not have the option for a desktop. I don't really need a desktop processor. I was very happy with my octane II last year apart from a few niggles (the screen is still not great) but with the octane III having a 4k option I figured it would be a nice improvement

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I don't really need a desktop processor.
You know you've got one, right?

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
I imagine the question was not because desktops have more powerful CPUs, but because you could get the same or better for less, and have more freedom over monitor choice. If a desktop's not an option that's cool - I'm just explaining my interpretation of the comment :)

4k high refresh rate monitors aren't really a thing yet afaik, though I gather they will be relatively soon for laptops (and presumably desktops, Asus showcased one earlier this year but when I checked a few days ago it han't been released yet).

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
You know you've got one, right?

I imagine the question was not because desktops have more powerful CPUs, but because you could get the same or better for less, and have more freedom over monitor choice. If a desktop's not an option that's cool - I'm just explaining my interpretation of the comment :)

4k high refresh rate monitors aren't really a thing yet afaik, though I gather they will be relatively soon for laptops (and presumably desktops, Asus showcased one earlier this year but when I checked a few days ago it han't been released yet).

Sorry my grammar was poor there. I know I have a desktop processor my meaning was that I don't really need one a high end mobile CPU would more than likely suffice however because I've been so happy performance-wise with my current Octane II I didn't want to go back to mobile CPU's. Desktop really isn't an option I work from home and away and I when I'm home I don't want to sit at a desk away from my wife I quite like sitting next to her and being able to game whilst pretending to listen to her ;)

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
I am very excited to see how games look at 4k with the 1080 card inside this beast. Also heard good things about the CPU so I'm looking forward to this one. Hoping someone relieves me of my Octane II so that the aforementioned ignored wife doesn't think I'm collecting expensive laptops.