New Gaming laptop

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm upgrading from a Nova from PCS in 2020 to this. Very excited to see this machine in action. Anyone already got one?

Chassis & Display
Ionico Series: 16" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1600)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 14 Core Processor 13900H (5.4GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (3000 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
1 x Ionico Battery 73WH
Thermal Paste
VAPOR CHAMBER ADVANCED COOLING
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
PER-KEY RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
Norton 360 inc. Game Optimizer - Free 90 Day License
Browser
Microsoft® Edge
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've upgraded every 2 years with PCS. I like my Nova but I want something newer. I'll be selling this to offset the cost of the new machine.
Fair enough

This is a high refresh 1440p screen, so you want the beafiest GPU you can afford, I don't think the 4070 will cut it really.

Factor in a mobile 4070 will be averaging between 50 and 70FPS at 1440p on modern AAA

I would say you want to go much higher on the GPU.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Yes, I don't think it's a suitable chassis for what you're using it for, it would be quite a big step down from the refresh rates you're currently getting.

What's your budget?
why would they pair these cards with these screens if they are underpowered?

my Nova has a Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) with a 2070

I've budgeted under 2k as anything over is just getting a bit silly

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
why would they pair these cards with these screens if they are underpowered?
You have to cater to all ranges, from budget up to high end.

This is a budget chassis, catering to entry level experience albeit it at a higher resolution of 1440p.

But any "gaming" player isn't going to be happy with such low FPS, you're wanting over 100 really on a new system, around 70 - 90 fps mid cycle. Anything under that isn't a good investment and will be a poor experience for a gamer.

The Nova in contrast was a top end DTR, you're not doing a like for like replacement.

The Nova still will be a far superior gaming experience to the Ionico, even with a 2070 as it's still gonna be hitting far higher refresh rates.

Last edited:

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Budget chassis? the machine is almost £2000. I'll just cancel. It isn't catering to all ranges when there is only one screen option and none of the gfx cards available are powerful enough to run it sufficiently. If its budget why is it being fitted with such a high refresh rate screen?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Budget chassis? the machine is almost £2000. I'll just cancel. It isn't catering to all ranges when there is only one screen option and none of the gfx cards available are powerful enough to run it sufficiently. If its budget why is it being fitted with such a high refresh rate screen?
Because it's for entry level gaming on games that don't need much power like Minecraft or Fortnite or something like that.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
£2000 is not going to get you the same experience as what it would have got you when you bought the Nova, unless you missed it, we're currently in a 10% inflation, plus the 4000 series cards are significantly more expensive than their predecessors at the same tier.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Because it's for entry level gaming on games that don't need much power like Minecraft or Fortnite or something like that.
so the previous iteration of the ionico 17.3 that came with the same refresh rate screen and the 30 series cards was also underpowered?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
so the previous iteration of the ionico 17.3 that came with the same refresh rate screen and the 30 series cards was also underpowered?
They're not underpowered, no one has ever stated that, they're designed for low power gaming, they can't manage AAA games.