New gaming PC help needed with spec please!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The 410's cooling performance doesn't really do it for me for the price I have to say. Not like it's awful or anything, but if I were spending that much on a case I'd want a bit better. It seems to perform a smidge less well than the CM 690 II, which performs measurably worse than the III according to HWinfo https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/26...sted-from-p70---p110-test-results-cooling-12v

No idea as for the RAM. But 16gb of the HyperX Fury 2133MHz is cheaper than 16gb of the value-end Kingston Dual 2133MHz, while 8gb of the Kingston Dual is cheaper than 8gb of the HyperX Fury (as it should be). The configurator pricing has its (edit)*quirks. I'd take advantage of the relatively low 3200MHz price :)

Last edited:

Freeley

Would I be right in thinking that the best way of connecting a GTX1070 PC to a monitor would be via displayport?
My current monitor doesn't support it anyway but I was planning on getting a 1440p 144Hz at some point, sadly my budget won't stretch to a GSYNC one :(

Freeley

OK all ordered, I added an extra fan (one of the quiet ones).
Thanks for the help and advice, I'm feeling happy with the spec and looking forward to getting it!
I did post in the technical section asking about potential overheating issues with the i7 7700k but had no responses so decided to press on regardless.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The reports of high temps came mostly during torture tests, particularly Prime95. Even the brutal AIDA64 apparently didn't cause temps above what you'd expect from torturing an OCed CPU for one of the reviewers who had noted problematic temps. So I imagine for gaming it will be fine.

If it isn't fine, remove the OC, saving the profile first. Then you can just reload it if a solution ever comes up such as BIOS updates as was speculated. Or you could just dial the OC down from ~4.8ghz to 4.6ghz, which is still higher than stock and the same as what you'd have expected from Skylake.

The bottom line is that even if there is overheating or if temps are just plain higher than you'd like, you can remove the overclock and all you've lost is the additional £10 of the OCed build. It's not like the PC won't run well without the OC.