New gaming setup, any suggestions welcome!

HarryNZ

Hey guys, just about to finalise my spec for this set up. Have a 1,300 pound budget would appreciate any input or advise! Have a look;

Case: InWIN BLACK DRAGON RIDER GAMING CASE

Overclocked CPU: Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-4670k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.20GHz)

Motherboard :ASUS® MAXIMUS VI GENE: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0, THX

Memory (RAM) : 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card :2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)

2nd Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACH

Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE

Processor Cooling Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Price (excluding VAT) £1,090.83
Price £1,309.00

Rakk

The Awesome
Overclocked CPU: Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-4670k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.20GHz)
Are you going to be playing games that benefit from overclocking? Most games don't really benefit from it since most are GPU dependent

HarryNZ

I will be mainly playing games such as BF4, Elder Scrolls Online, Rome II, Assassins 4.

Rakk, just a few quick questions - Will I loose a lot of the CPU's life span if I overclock? Even with the processor coolant and the thermal paste? Or should I just leave it at factory settings and non-overclocked and possibly just overclock the GPU? I was under the impression that if I overclocked I wouldn't need to upgrade for the years to come...

Thanks for the feedback and the quick reply.

Harry

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Overclocking the CPU will not bring any noticeable improvements for the majority of games. Overclocking the gpu will void the warranty, there are a few things you could change like the motherboard and secondary drive. Are you planning to add a 2nd gpu in the future?

HarryNZ

Gotcha, not even for the games in the near future? What would you suggest for the mobo and the secondary drive? Yep I would like to add a second GPU when I need to upgrade. Is it better to go for the i7 4770 not overclocked in this situation?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Gotcha, not even for the games in the near future? What would you suggest for the mobo and the secondary drive? Yep I would like to add a second GPU when I need to upgrade. Is it better to go for the i7 4770 not overclocked in this situation?

An i5-4670, z87-A motherboard and 750w PSU.