New laptop build - dead pixel guarantee

gartuc

Do I need the dead pixel guarantee?

I've read the explanation of the dead pixel guarantee - it says all screens shipped are compliant with various ISO standards, but what does this actually mean? Could a screen with dead pixels still comply with the ISO standards?

If a new screen has a dead pixel then you can't see the information in that pixel on the screen and this surely renders the screen 'unfit for purpose' and should be changed under any warranty?

What are the chances of getting a dead pixel, what are my rights etc etc?

Thanks

kruppsy

Master
I needed the cover so I have always advised people to get it if possible. I got a dead pixel after a few hours use. Some people could live with one or two, I personally couldn't. I've no idea of the chances of getting one, its complete luck (or not).

The ISO standard allows for getting some dead pixels, I don't know the exact amount but I remember being shocked by how many. Screens are built and checked to these standards, I think there are different levels of ISO standards. If the screen was absolutely covered in them, then you would be able to exchange under the normal warranty. But say you got 3, Im pretty sure thats within the standard allowances for laptop screens. Again, I don't know the cut off number from, 'allowed' dead pixels to 'unfit for purpose'.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I remember when I was looking at monitors that standard policies all required at least 4-5 dead pixels before you could replace it. As there are millions of pixels in a screen, I don't think a single dead pixel here or there qualifies as not fit for purpose as realistically I don't think it would be big enough to block any critical info as a pixel is extremely small when you think they fit over 2million pixels into a 1920x1080 screen. It's not like a cracked screen where it can completely black out a section of it.

It's worth getting for peace of mind, I know I almost bought a monitor from a site where for £20 they opened up your box, setup your monitor and tested it and then if it arrived with a single dead pixel they would collect and replace it free of charge. I assume PCS's dead pixel policy would work similar to that. I think you can live with them but they would be annoying depending on how bad they were.

GazP

I used to have a monitor with a single dead pixel near the middle of the screen and I got used to it really easily, just on of those things you get used to. But some of my friends can't stand it in the slightest so I guess it's how good you are at blocking out such things :)