New Laptop but Issue with Windows 10 Home

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
Just had my brand new laptop delivered. Can anybody advise me please
I ordered the machine with no operating system but when I powered the laptop on Windows 10 is already loaded, I have an ISO which I downloaded from my old machine so do I need to reload Windows 10 with my copy or will the pre installed copy work perfectly okay?

Rakk

The Awesome
It has a test version on Win10 on it, ie. what they used to test it, whilst some have just used their own keys and its worked fine, for some it hasn't (and they've had to reinstall later anyway) - in other words you really should fully install your own version at the beginning then you know it's all good.
I know when I got mine (without OS), I did run it briefly with the pre-installed test version just to make sure it booted up fine and all the hardware was visible to the machine, but then did a clean install.

PS. if you have the an uptodate copy of Windows install media on a USB stick (from the MS site) it really is dead quick to install - I was surprised at how little time it took

Last edited:

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
I did everything I was instructed to do to ensure I could transfer my licensed copy of Windows 10 Home to my new laptop but it just loads Windws Professional and will not accept my digital license
I have tried a clean install but still it automatically loads Windows professional which I do not have a license for
Does anybody know why this is happening
I do not know how to contact live help with PCS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did everything I was instructed to do to ensure I could transfer my licensed copy of Windows 10 Home to my new laptop but it just loads Windws Professional and will not accept my digital license
I have tried a clean install but still it automatically loads Windows professional which I do not have a license for
Does anybody know why this is happening
I do not know how to contact live help with PCS
You have to do a clean installation with your own copy. You can’t downgrade a pro license to home.

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
I tried a clean instal but must have done something wrong so how do I carry out a clean install using my ISO stick please

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
I followed the instruction created the bootable media and still its saying Windows Pro which I do not have a key for so why will it not download my licensed copy of Windows 10 Home?
I really do not know what to do

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I followed the instruction created the bootable media and still its saying Windows Pro which I do not have a key for so why will it not download my licensed copy of Windows 10 Home?
I really do not know what to do
You need to boot from the usb, you have to select the usb as the boot device from the BIOS.

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
Okay didnt realise it wasnt booting from the USB So I need to go into the boot sequence and change it to USB loading option thanks

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
All I keep getting is this
''The upgrade option isn't available if ou start your computer using windows installation media.
If a copy of windows is already installed on this computer and you want to upgrade, remove the installation media and restart our computer. After windows has started normally insert the installation media and run windows setup''

Not sure what I am supposed to do

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All I keep getting is this
''The upgrade option isn't available if ou start your computer using windows installation media.
If a copy of windows is already installed on this computer and you want to upgrade, remove the installation media and restart our computer. After windows has started normally insert the installation media and run windows setup''

Not sure what I am supposed to do
You’re not booting from the usb. You’re trying to run installation from within windows which won’t work.

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
I got this far booting from my USB
Upgrade Install Windows and keep files settings and applications
or
Custom Install windows only (advanced)
Which I have gone into and now am faced with this screen
Drive 0 partition 1: System
Drive 0 partition 2
Drive 0 partition 3: Recovery
Drive 0 partition 4: Windows
Drive 0 partition 5:

Am not sure what to do now Do I just select the first Drive and place my operating system there?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I got this far booting from my USB
Upgrade Install Windows and keep files settings and applications
or
Custom Install windows only (advanced)
Which I have gone into and now am faced with this screen
Drive 0 partition 1: System
Drive 0 partition 2
Drive 0 partition 3: Recovery
Drive 0 partition 4: Windows
Drive 0 partition 5:

Am not sure what to do now Do I just select the first Drive and place my operating system there?
You need to delete all partitions and install to the left over space.

This is a message to others. If you don’t know how to manage windows, order with windows.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's possible that the copy of Windows 10 Pro used for testing has been activated somehow. The Media Creation Tool always downloads the edition (Home or Pro) that matches the version activated on the PC, so if the Windows testing system (Pro in your case) has been activated the Media Creation Tool will always download the Pro version.

Using the existing Windows Pro (testing) system go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation. Does it say that the Edition is Windows 10 Pro and does Activation say that it's activated? Post a screenshot if you're not sure.

We really need to clear that up before going further.

Note that you may be able to get the Media Creation Tool to download Home as well as Pro by unchecking the box that says 'Use the recommended options for this PC' (that un-greys the three options above). Then see whether you can select Home by clicking on the Edition drop-down? If not then click on Architecture and select 'Both' from the drop-down list. Although I've not tried this it's my understanding that this downloads not only x64 and x32 versions but also Pro and Home editions too. I believe you can select at install time which architecture to use (you want x64) and which edition to install (you want Home).

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks both of you I thought I should delete all partition as I thought I had asked for there to be no partition when ordering the laptop, will try UBUYSA's suggestion and see where it gets me otherwise I will delete all partition and install onto the hard drive
Thanks again for all your assistance, the funny thing was I actually spoke to Microsoft before making my decision not to have another licensed version of windows installed on the new laptop and they told me if I was not going to use the old machine then it was a simple task to install my original licensed copy onto the new laptop and they sent me the step by step instruction which I followed.
But as Spydertracks rightly says unless you are experienced in these things it probably was not the best idea for me after all
Thanks again guys this is what makes these forums so valuable

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks both of you I thought I should delete all partition as I thought I had asked for there to be no partition when ordering the laptop
Windows creates its own partitions when installing, so if the machine has Windows on it it will always have a least a few partitions on it (my boot drive has 3 - all created by the installation of Windows)

But as Spydertracks rightly says unless you are experienced in these things it probably was not the best idea for me after all
Well you can treat it as a learning experience :)

antlev

Bronze Level Poster
Just a quick update I followed your instruction UBUYSA but there is no option to select home or pro so I selected both in Architecture and now have a USB but still not sure what to do about the partitions or where to place windows?

And yes RAKK its certainly taught me some new stuff about Windows Lol

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just a quick update I followed your instruction UBUYSA but there is no option to select home or pro so I selected both in Architecture and now have a USB but still not sure what to do about the partitions or where to place windows?

And yes RAKK its certainly taught me some new stuff about Windows Lol
Same as above, you delete all partitions and install to the space.