New Laptop but which one to get

Celtic stu

Hi Everyone

I'm about to dump my old and knackered desktop and get a gaming laptop. I've decided its the Defiance 15.6 or the Proteus IV 17.3 both with the same specs. Is the extra screen real estate on the proteus worth the little bit extra or would people go with the defiance for the full sized keyboard and the other little extras the defiance class has over the proteus? First ever gaming laptop so really would like to get it right, thanks for any replies.

Stuart

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I will leave the differences to my more knowledgeable co-forum members but I can say that I own a Defiance II 15.6" that I bought in August 2015 and I love it.

I came from company provided Dell rubbish and a 2011 MacBook Pro. The MBP was a brilliant Windows laptop but ultimately I needed more grunt that it could provide.

It's fair to say that the build quality of any PC laptop is never going to match a MBP (well there may be some premium models out there now, I guess) but I cannot complain about the DII,

In terms of raw performance it eats anything I throw at it and spits it out, begging for more.

In fact, my colleague was so impressed by it that he's just bought a DIII 17". Now that takes mine and leaves it standing from a performance perspective - the 1000 series cards are so much more performant.

I love the keyboard on mine but again, the DIII feels like a real step up in terms of qualty.

The only mistake I made, in hindsight, as I've said before was opting for the 4k screen.

Not that there's anything at all wrong with the screen itself (despite being very thin and feeling somewhat flexible...not that, again, it's ever been a problem) but Windows just cannot handle high DPI that well still. Ultimately, I got so sick and tired of tiny icons/huge icons/tiny screen area combinations, I am now running it at lower resolution. And to be fair to the screen and laptop, it still looks great.

All in all I would think that whichever you go for, you'll be very happy.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd probably go with the Defiance because of things like Gsync which the Proteus apparently doesn't have.

And from a personal point of view, I'd find the slightly smaller size and lighter weight a bonus.

Why not the 17" Defiance btw?

Celtic stu

Would love the defiance 17inch but it pushed the budget a bit more than im happy with. I could drop the ssd i suppose and add it later if thats reasonably easy to do.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's easy enough to do that, yes.

Perhaps if you post your full prospective spec(s) up it will help give more detailed feedback or see if there's a different way to angle things. :)