New laptop migration from water damage

YungMilky

So my last laptop broke from water damage a couple of months ago, and after asking on this forum you guys taught me water damage spreads more than what is immediately obvious. What I'm wondering is, if I use any parts from my broken laptop on my new one, will the damage spread? I'm specifically thinking of using my SSD and RAM stick. Also my SSD is SATA 6gb/s, if the SATA on my new laptop is a mismatch with speed or any other spec, will that have any implication? Or with RAM? Do I have to do anything with BIOS to get this to work?

Thanks in advance! 🤠

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So my last laptop broke from water damage a couple of months ago, and after asking on this forum you guys taught me water damage spreads more than what is immediately obvious. What I'm wondering is, if I use any parts from my broken laptop on my new one, will the damage spread? I'm specifically thinking of using my SSD and RAM stick. Also my SSD is SATA 6gb/s, if the SATA on my new laptop is a mismatch with speed or any other spec, will that have any implication? Or with RAM? Do I have to do anything with BIOS to get this to work?

Thanks in advance! 🤠
The ssd will work in any SATA port. Worst comes to the worst the worst it won’t fit in the new slot if it’s a 9mm ssd and the slot is 7mm but I’d be surprised if that were the case.

RAM on newer laptops is ddr4, your old RAM may well be ddr3 in which case it’s not compatible.

But no, existing damage will not spread onto the new laptop.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As long as you are quite certain that those parts were not affected by the water damage they will be fine. If you think there is any possibility they were affected I would advise against using them. If they have been electrically compromised by the water damage they could potentially cause damage to your motherboard.

Sent using Tapatalk

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for your replies, is there any way I can determine whether or not the SSD has been affected?
Have a close look at it, especially the connector, if you see any sign of a green coloured deposit anywhere in the connector I would not use it. The green deposit is called verdigris and it's a sure sign that water has affected the connector. As long as it's all clean it should be fine.

Sent using Tapatalk