New laptop to run Lightroom 4 and cs5 t the same time

Photoguy

Chassis & Display
Genesis IV: 15.6" Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Battery
Genesis Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 65W AC Adaptor

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Hi guys firstly and secondly thank you for trying to help me. I have an acer aspire 8930g which sports a quad core p9000 processor I think and only 4gb of ddr3 1066 MHz ram and dedicated ge force 9600m gt and I find previews load a little slow and it almost dies when tryin to use photoshop and Lightroom together. And its ram can't be upgraded only takes max 4gb

Will the above new spec be smooth in terms of operation?
Is the new MacBook pro with retina display going to outperform the above for what I do in terms of photo editing?
Do I need a better version of windows 7 in my new laptop? Or is home premium enough?
Is the genesis iv chassis the most compact shell I can put this spec into? And anyone with a genesis chasis is it very well made? I don't want buttons to break or paint flake off my mouse pad etc lol

Sorry for the million questions but my wife is sick of hearing them and gave me the " I don't give a....." reply together with "will it clean the house?" reply

Teaz

Godlike
Welcome to the forum :)

1. Yes, the spec is balanced and smooth for your use.

2. The non upgradeable model will not outperform apart from the graphics card and the retina display. The higher model will also, because it has a higher processor and again, the graphics card and retina display. You can upgrade to the higher models which will come on par with the mac pro or out perform it like the vortex.

3.No, the pro and ultimate is the same as the home premium. The only difference is the few extrra features which may be of no use to you. The home premium is fine. You can check their differences here.

I'm sure the case is well constructed so it shouldn't have any sort of case chipping/breakage from traditional use.

One thing to bare is mind, though the ssd is fast in performance, having it as the only drive is not recommended for storage. Reason is, continues storage or writing large data to the ssd will slowly degrade its performance so it won't be in tip top shape. So having a spare external hdd drive is recommended for any storage.

Reactions: PCS

Luxas

Bronze Level Poster
Welcome to the forum :)

1. Yes, the spec is balanced and smooth for your use.

2. The non upgradeable model will not outperform apart from the graphics card and the retina display. The higher model will also, because it has a higher processor and again, the graphics card and retina display. You can upgrade to the higher models which will come on par with the mac pro or out perform it like the vortex.

3.No, the pro and ultimate is the same as the home premium. The only difference is the few extrra features which may be of no use to you. The home premium is fine. You can check their differences here.

I'm sure the case is well constructed so it shouldn't have any sort of case chipping/breakage from traditional use.

One thing to bare is mind, though the ssd is fast in performance, having it as the only drive is not recommended for storage. Reason is, continues storage or writing large data to the ssd will slowly degrade its performance so it won't be in tip top shape. So having a spare external hdd drive is recommended for any storage.

With home premium you can use up to 16GB of RAM while with Pro or Ultimate is up to 192GB if I'm not mistaken. That might be a good future investment. Or... save some ££ for now and go for free Windows 8 consumer preview. To see if you like it. Should be released in the near future.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
Yes it is, but if more than 16GB is not needed, then the home premium is fine to stick with for laptop use.