Specifications:
•Screen Size: 21.5"
• Matrix type: AH-IPS (Blade5)
• Type of light: LED
• Aspect Ratio: 16:09
• Resolution: 1920 x 1080
• Brightness: 250 cd/m2
• Contrast: 10000000:1 (DFC)
• Response time: 14ms (on / off) / 5ms (GTG)
• Number of colors: 16.7 million
• Colors (coverage): 72%
• Viewing angle: 178/178
• Interfaces: DVI-D, D-Sub, HDMI
• DDC / CI: Yes
• HDCP: Yes
• Factory color calibration: Yes
• Intelligent Auto (Auto Resolution): Yes
• Dual package: Yes (dual screen, Dual Web, double taskbar)
• Plug & Play: Yes
• Other Features: Mode, My Key Setting, Dual Smart Solution, Super + Resolution (demo)
• VESA compatibility: Yes (75 x 75 mm)
• Voltage: 100 - 240 V
• Power consumption: Standard mode: 23W
• Standby: 0.3W
• Dimensions (WxDxH) With Stand: 19.68x7x14.96"
• Without Stand: 19.68x2.91x12.08"

This is it, although I wouldnt be buying from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-22EA63V-...Widescreen-HDMI-DVI-VGA-Monitor-/161035162863. It looks really nice with a super thin bezel round the sides and top. Im just slightly worried about the 14ms on/off response. GTG is 5ms which is good? I guess I just dont want ghosting whilst playing shooters. Never bought an LG either, reliable?

I can only really find customer reviews on it so thought I'd bring it to the floor. Im hoping Grimezy gets involved, he knows his TNs from his IPSs...

So you know, my budget is £100 which is why its a tiddler, but anything will be better than my 4:3 1280x1024 19" Samsung :)

Any feedback/suggestions welcomed

kruppsy

Master
The BENQ GW2255 from PCS is £86.

Yeah I thought about that, the price is great. But I quite like the idea of an IPS panel, as long as gaming performance isn't diminished, and the looks of the LG are way better imo. I also like the fact it has a HDMI on top of VGA and DVI. If the Benq performs better in games though I'd probably go for that, not sure how I can find out as Im never going to get them side-by-side?

Its annoying there isn't a bonefide review of the LG, not that I can find anyway.

Last edited:

kruppsy

Master
Aren't IPS more suitable for photography rather than gaming?

I think generally, yes. But these AH-IPS panels are supposedly a lot better at motion than standard IPS screens are. The best of both worlds I've read. Again, I'd like some confirmation on this from someone if possible. Can't find many hard facts on it tbh.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Not a huge fan of LG screens to be honest, compared to others I've seen they can look quite blurry and not as crisp as others in the price range. Also, as it is a budget panel it will only be displaying 6-bit colour anyway which really is on a par with a TN panel and you would notice little different between the two. HOWEVER, the LG would likely have better viewing angles but a TN would be more responsive with a lower response rate and no doubt a better input lag score which would suit gaming more.

Lemme have a think about it as I haven't looked at monitors in a couple of months and I'll see if I can find anything decent. I know it's tempting to go for an IPS as it's a bit of a 'buzzword' at the moment but at that price you won't see a critical difference between a similar priced tn panel. It will be using eIPS technology which is not on a par with 8-bit/10-bit panels that professionals use, etc. I know they brought out a more advanced 6bit screen that emulated being an 8bit panel but I'm fairly sure that was in slightly higher priced screens around £150+ like the Dell u2312hm. I did try looking at the u2312's baby brother but it has ridiculous input lag times compared to the u23 so not really worth looking at for gaming.

The LG does look nice in appearance though and stuff, I just think it's worrying that there's no real reviews out there and I don't really think it will be aimed at gaming. I'll get back to you!

Edit: Only just looked at the spec properly, AH-IPS is the newer version of eIPS. It could be a decent panel then, still concerned about lack of info online! I'll keep digging.

Last edited:

kruppsy

Master
Cheers mate :)

I'll be honest, it was the looks that drew me to it initially. If there was a TN with similar bezelage for 100 notes Id be in like a shot.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
If you're after similar looking ones check out the Acer 21.5" H226HQLbmid :) Looks pretty nice.

Will keep looking when I'm home if I have time!

kruppsy

Master
That Acer does look nice. You think it'd be better than the LG, I notice it's just the standard IPS screen? Or do they not always advertise uprated panels? I'm so ill educated when it comes to monitors...

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I'll be honest, it was the looks that drew me to it initially.

Have a look at the Samsung SyncMaster range. Can't fault mine to be honest. I haven't done anywhere near as much homework on monitors as Grimezy though, I'm just a Samsung ***** when it comes to TVs, Blu Rays and monitors.

kruppsy

Master
Have a look at the Samsung SyncMaster range. Can't fault mine to be honest. I haven't done anywhere near as much homework on monitors as Grimezy though, I'm just a Samsung ***** when it comes to TVs, Blu Rays and monitors.

My current monitor is a SyncMaster, had it the best part of ten years I reckon! Im only retiring it (I'll probably give it to my old man actually) because I can't get decent res on it and its not even widescreen. Solid monitor. I don't think they have a decent one for £100 at the moment though? I'll have a ganders...

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Go for the LG that you found :) For your budget it looks like a very good screen and really compared to your current Syncmaster you can't go wrong. I was playing on a 7 year old square office samsung 6 months ago and because it was analog I was getting the fuzzy lines down my screen and everything.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the lack of input lag times. A TN panel or a decent IPS would normally be below the 10ms mark but if you're not careful you can get them going into the 20-30ms which would probably be noticeable.

If it is purely for gaming I would still recommend a TN panel. At that end of the budget scale you should get more for your money. The Benq's and Iiyama's are good choices. If you're planning to watch a lot of films and stuff as well on it then the LG should be better.

kruppsy

Master
What about this one Grimezy?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24...0x1080/dp/B008JJPBH6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

No speakers (not really a deal breaker), HDMI, not as purdy. But bigger and a TN. I can get it cheaper than the Amazon price elsewhere, £109.

Or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HL...=UTF8&qid=1370593159&sr=1-24&keywords=monitor

Im starting to like the idea of getting bigger than 22" but the LG is still high on my list. Annoyed caus keynes sent me a link to an LG on amazon warehouse deals, 24" version of the IPS from before, had very good reviews. Used, but £103 or something, but gone today.

I should also say, I would prefer it to be wall mountable if poss, which neither of the above can do.

Last edited:

kruppsy

Master
I've taken the plunge...none of the above lol

This appeared on Amazon Warehouse Deals (thanks keynes)

iiyama B2475HDS B ProLite 24 inch LED Monitor - Used [Very Good] - £93

It seems to get good reviews and is a £200 monitor usually so I thought sod it. Being classed as 'Very Good' (only beaten by 'Like New' in their ratings i think) Im hoping its in good nic. Amazon returns are really good so i can always send it back if im not happy, I just didn't want to miss out again :)

Thanks for everyones help, I may have repped but have some more :)

kruppsy

Master
New monitor came today and on first impression its fantastic. I was most worried about dead pixels but so far I haven't noticed one. If it lasts as well as my Samsung it'll have done well.

A quick picture showing the happy family...made me realise I need and bigger desk...and who's that ugly git in the background?...

Well, that was short lived. The picture has come down because we've had a family fall out. Mr iiyama, it seems, is faulty. It turns itself off randomly and the only way to get it back on is to unplug the thing, wait 30sec, then plug it back in. Gutted. So whilst everyone at PCS will be fist pumping and high fiving, all that's left for me to do is add one of these...:(

Tell you what though, I'm definitely getting another 24", Farcry looked awesome...before...well...*cries*

Last edited: