New Monitor Recommendations?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I agree entirely. Whilst the waiting can seem a bit unbearable, I think the lead time has actually been pretty reasonable with the current global circumstances. And I'd rather wait for a top-notch product than have it rushed out with possible issues.

PainterUK

Silver Level Poster
I'm just getting ready for the struggle that will be running the pc with a 1650 super on this screen :)

Just spoke to someone from PCS asking advise regarding a change I wanted to make and they confirmed the estimated build date is still the 30th.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
You would get lower frame rates on an ultrawide with a 2070 super (still over 60), really need a 2080 Super to maintain around 100fps. That being said though, so long as you had gsync or freesync, that’s not necessarily a bad thing as on my gsync 4k monitor I only get about 40fps but it’s still buttery smooth. I’d say for the gain in peripheral view it’s probably worth it, and there are some incredibly good value ultrawides on the market for around £350, plus it gives you room to grow into with future gpu upgrades.

Just had a thought and hope to ask a technical/stupid question re: this post....

So I've got the AOC 34 inch as suggested. If I was playing a particularly GPU intensive game and the 2070S was struggling to push a decent fate of frames, would I notice an increase by manually switching from 21:9 to 16:9 on that screen? I'd obviously have to live with black bars at the side but thought that might make a decent stop-gap until the next generation of cards are available.

If that's a really idiotic question you are welcome to point and laugh.

larf.gif

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Technical question for those in the know...

So, I've got my 34 inch AOC

Just had a thought and hope to ask a technical/stupid question re: this post....

So I've got the AOC 34 inch as suggested. If I was playing a particularly GPU intensive game and the 2070S was struggling to push a decent fate of frames, would I notice an increase by manually switching from 21:9 to 16:9 on that screen? I'd obviously have to live with black bars at the side but thought that might make a decent stop-gap until the next generation of cards are available.

If that's a really idiotic question you are welcome to point and laugh.

View attachment 17609
You would indeed see an increase in FPS as it’s only outputting the lower 1440p pixels, so yes, that’s a viable option although kind of defeats the point of ultrawide

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
You would indeed see an increase in FPS as it’s only outputting the lower 1440p pixels, so yes, that’s a viable option although kind of defeats the point of ultrawide

Thanks for clarifying this. I certainly hope to run ultrawide all the time but that's handy to know in case I'm getting headache inducing low frame rates on anything.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for clarifying this. I certainly hope to run ultrawide all the time but that's handy to know in case I'm getting headache inducing low frame rates on anything.
Worst comes to the worst it’s still a good idea to get the ultra wide, just means you’ve got room to grow into it with further gpu upgrades down the line, there’s no downside.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Worst comes to the worst it’s still a good idea to get the ultra wide, just means you’ve got room to grow into it with further gpu upgrades down the line, there’s no downside.

Thanks, the AOC ultrawide has been sat on my desk for a week now and it is patiently waiting to be joined by a freshly assembled PC. I've put in so much overtime recently that I should have it all paid off in a few months ready for the 30 series Nvidia cards.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I know, right!?

happy.gif

Still in building at the moment so I ain't gonna be getting it until Sunday of next week but I'm mega-chuffed I've reached this milestone!

PainterUK

Silver Level Poster
Unfortunately not, because I opted for finance it has to come to my home address.

ah I see :(
I've ordered my keyboard, mouse and headset yesterday,

Corsair K95 Brown switches
Logitech G903 lightspeed
Logitech G935 7.1 lightsync

Only thing left is the the new GPU in a few months and may get a kit of wheel and pedals for racing.

PainterUK

Silver Level Poster
Nice :) I only have Assassins Creed :(

was thinking of amending the GPU but it is showing as orange.. not sure I’ll risk it.

Last edited: