New Motherboard ,chipset driver and RAM enquiry

greybing

Recently I shorted my Motherboard [stupidly by plugging a side fan in a Molex whilst the power was still on].I had done this hundreds of times before, maybe this time lady luck was pulling a "sicky".I'll continue in my own verbose way[for the none pretentious of you that means " overly wordy"] .I got a new ASUS M4N98TD EVO and set it all up only to be confronted with a none booting P.C..At this point I was about to physically boot the damn thing myself.After a simple R.A.M. swap I
learned that one of the 2gig sticks of my memory appeared to be faulty as it booted up when I took it out and everything was fine.I assume it must have also been affected.Success.......so.........Question number 1.After installing the new Motherboaed and sorting the R.A.M. out I wondered do if I needed to re install the nvidia chipset driver.Also I decided to uninstall the old Nvidia GRAPHICS driver[using the windows 7 tool] and then installed the latest one 266,58.I do not know if this bears any relevance on the chipset driver question..............................Question number 2.On my Motherboard there are blue and black slots where you put the R.A.M. in. I have mine in the blue slots,what is the difference between these different coloured slots and is it worth me trying my "faulty" R.A.M. stick in them.[probably a decidedly dumb question]................finally.......................Question number 3.Now that I am in the position of having only 2 gigs of R.A.M. rather than my usual 4,should I bother getting another 2 gigs or more even.To be honest I have not noticed much of a difference .The rest of my P.C. comprises of 2 Pallit GTX geforce 460s running in S.L.I.,a phenon 2 x4 965,[nothing is overclocked]and as I have said 2 gigs of DDR3 Samsung R.AM. Thankyou for taking the time to read my questions and I hope you can offer some help .

Pete

Bright Spark
Question 1 - i don't know sorry.
Question 2 - the colours identify the different channels, so like you say using the 2 blue slots first is good. If you've tried different combinations of memory and having that stick in always results in a non-boot then bin it.

Question 3 - You should be able to run with 3 sticks. Ideally though you want to match up your memory speed and size. I assume this is to to make full use of the dual chanelling. So yes going from 4 to 2 gig will reduce the speed of your pc when using intensive applications or games. I don't think you mention what OS you're running; XP will be happy with 2gb but Vista or Win7 would be better with 4. Basically as soon as your pc runs out of RAM, it will start using the hard disk instead, which is obviously a lot slower.

Go into Task Manager: under performance it will show you how much physical memory is in use.

hope that helps.

Last edited: