New order - thoughts on the setup are welcome :)

Hi all,

I've had a few custom gaming PCs before though always best to get objective opinions on the build itself.

I run a 144hz 4K and 144hz 1440p - build intended for gaming on max settings and streaming.

--------------------------------------------

Case
CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6400MB/R, 2700MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

Ash_

Master Poster
If it is gaming and streaming only, i strongly suggest dropping the CPU to a 5800X.

Other changes i’d make:
980 pro to 500gb
Sata ssd to a 2TB Corsair M.2

i’d also recommend either upping to the 5000D and adding 3 LL120 fans or... phoning up after and adding 3 LL120’s to the build.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi all,

I've had a few custom gaming PCs before though always best to get objective opinions on the build itself.

I run a 144hz 4K and 144hz 1440p - build intended for gaming on max settings and streaming.

--------------------------------------------

Case
CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6400MB/R, 2700MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!
Would you be able to provide us with your budget and if you need anything else in that budget? Also the link at the bottom of the 'post spec to forum' page is very useful.

With regards to changes, I agree with Ash. If it's purely a gaming and streaming, the 5800X would be a much better choice. This also means you could swap to the TUF X570 mobo. If you plan to do photo/ video editing, motion graphics, or some sort of design work, you could make an argument for the 5900X but both aren't really designed to be 'gaming' chips. Then the storage changes Ash suggested are good ones too, you'll want 500GB for your boot drive so you're less likely to hit that 75% slow down and swapping to an M.2 is a no brainer.

For cases, the 5000X works out a lot cheaper than adding 3 LL fans to the 5000D so that would be my recommendation. If you're not a fan of the glass front, all the 5000 cases are all pretty swappable and I believe you can buy the 5000D Airflow front from Corsair seperately.

Ash_

Master Poster
Would you be able to provide us with your budget and if you need anything else in that budget? Also the link at the bottom of the 'post spec to forum' page is very useful.

With regards to changes, I agree with Ash. If it's purely a gaming and streaming, the 5800X would be a much better choice. This also means you could swap to the TUF X570 mobo. If you plan to do photo/ video editing, motion graphics, or some sort of design work, you could make an argument for the 5900X but both aren't really designed to be 'gaming' chips. Then the storage changes Ash suggested are good ones too, you'll want 500GB for your boot drive so you're less likely to hit that 75% slow down and swapping to an M.2 is a no brainer.

For cases, the 5000X works out a lot cheaper than adding 3 LL fans to the 5000D so that would be my recommendation. If you're not a fan of the glass front, all the 5000 cases are all pretty swappable and I believe you can buy the 5000D Airflow front from Corsair seperately.
The 5000D is considerably cooler and to buy the front and top for the X ends up costing more i believe. Although i guess it comes down to aesthetics as the 5000X is still a beastly case, i just like really high cooling 🤣.

Citrus_9

Expert
The 5000D is considerably cooler and to buy the front and top for the X ends up costing more i believe. Although i guess it comes down to aesthetics as the 5000X is still a beastly case, i just like really high cooling 🤣.
If not the risk of condensation, I'd suggest keeping it in a fridge :ROFLMAO:

For just gaming and streaming a AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4 is a massive over spec a 5800x would be way more suitable tho the 5800x throws out some heat so be sure to have a adequately cooled pc :)

Thank you kindly for the input!

I’ve changed the CPU to the 5900x to save a little money but keep adequate headroom.

Ive also changed the casing to the Corsair iCUE 680x to get the extra fans.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thank you kindly for the input!

I’ve changed the CPU to the 5900x to save a little money but keep adequate headroom.

Ive also changed the casing to the Corsair iCUE 680x to get the extra fans.
As talked about above, I’d also recommend upping your 250GB SSD to 500GB (make sure you pick the 980, for some reason there’s a 970 in there too), swapping the SATA SSD to a 2nd M.2 SSD (the Corsair 2TB one will be perfectly fine) an potentially adding a hard drive. SSD’s give no warning when they fail so it’s always a good idea to put your documents on a HDD to reduce the risk of losing them. Also if you plan to do anything with your VOD’s, you don’t want them taking up space on your fast SSD!

Once you make those changes, you should have a super solid PC capable of just about anything 😂

Sorry - can I ask why I would need the 500GB m.2 over the 250GB please?

I was only planning on having the OS on there I think.

Sorry for my ignorance!

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Sorry - can I ask why I would need the 500GB m.2 over the 250GB please?

I was only planning on having the OS on there I think.

Sorry for my ignorance!
No worries! Generally we recommend putting your OS and programs on there. SSD’s tend to lose their performance at about 3/4 full. 75% of 250 is about 180GB which would be adequate but it’s always good to make sure you have that overhead. It’s only about £35 to double the storage and make sure you won’t run into that slowed down boundary and when you’re spending this much on a PC, I feel that’s well worth doing.

Update:

I’ve changed the GPU to the 3090 Strix; the case to the 5000x; and added another 1TB m.2.

I know it’s overkill, but I’ve always wanted to have a PC like this since I was a teenager so hey ho.

Thanks for all the help ladies and gents!