New Parts needed for an 8 year old PC

TG.

That’s a graphics card, so you’d swap your current one for that one. You can’t add graphics ports, they’re part of the GPU and you’re fixed to whatever is on that.

That is a more modern card, but if it’s not much more expensive I’d go for a GT1030 which is far newer. Most modern displays will actually use display port which is far better than HDMI.

Hi again

Just taking a look at my installed 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 520 graphics card, I have input ports of a DVI, VGA, and HDMI, I thought with these I would be able to connect 3 displays, I have 2 Monitors, one connected to the HDMI, and one to the VGA, so I tried putting a display tablet into the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI adaptor but it won't display, the other functions work on the tablet but no display, so I thought maybe my graphics card only supports 2 displays, although I find that strange if it has 3 inputs, is their a possible workaround this i.e. USB 3 to HDMI adaptor for the display tablet, or do I definitely need another Graphics card supporting more displays ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi again

Just taking a look at my installed 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 520 graphics card, I have input ports of a DVI, VGA, and HDMI, I thought with these I would be able to connect 3 displays, I have 2 Monitors, one connected to the HDMI, and one to the VGA, so I tried putting a display tablet into the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI adaptor but it won't display, the other functions work on the tablet but no display, so I thought maybe my graphics card only supports 2 displays, although I find that strange if it has 3 inputs, is their a possible workaround this i.e. USB 3 to HDMI adaptor for the display tablet, or do I definitely need another Graphics card supporting more displays ?
It depends on resolutions, a GPU will have a max resolution, that one has a max of 2560 x 1600 when out of digital outputs.

So if you’re going over that combines resolution, it won’t be able to output the third monitor.

So it wouldn’t be able to power 3 standard 1080p monitors.

TG.

It depends on resolutions, a GPU will have a max resolution, that one has a max of 2560 x 1600 when out of digital outputs.

So if you’re going over that combines resolution, it won’t be able to output the third monitor.

Ah ok, incidentally I noticed recently I also have 3 ports at the back above the graphics card, which have little rubber covers over them, I've never took notice of them before, I guess as I never needed too, but I took the covers off, and am I right in thinking these are the VGA, DVI and HDMI ports going directly into the CPU, and have been disabled because of the graphics card, if that's the case can they be enabled again so I could use the display tablet as well as the 2 monitors ? or do I just need to get a new graphics card to enable me to use the 2 monitors and the display tablet

TG.

I just looked into this and, from what I read, the 520 can only operate 2 monitors at a time, not 3. From a thread I found (whether it's accurate or not I don't know)on the EVGA forum (assuming the EVGA 520 is the same outputs as yours of course)

"No it will not support more than 2 monitors. Even though it has 3 display outs, one of the DVI outs is shared with the HDMI out. He will need a 2nd GPU to drive a 3rd monitor."

Ok thanks for your input, so what about the other 3 ports I mentioned on my PC that are not connected to the graphics card, I'm guessing they have been disabled, could I enable one of them to run the the display ? my thinking is that I obviously won't be using the display tablet all of the time, only when photo editing, so I could just have my 2 monitors running as usual, then just use the display tablet when needed, so maybe I could just use that from the HDMI that's not on the graphics card if that's possible, which would save me buying another card. On the other hand if I need to buy one I will, and will the one I linked to in my previous post with the 4 HDMI ports be good enough i. e. is it as good as the one already in the machine, as it seems quite cheap, or will I need something better, particularly if I want to upgrade monitors at some point.

TG.

The blanked out ports are separate. An Intel system like yours has what is called an iGPU (Integrated Graphics card), part of the Intel chip. Adding a Graphics card disables the iGPU by default hence why those connectors are blanked out. Apparently you might be able to reenable it somewhere but no clue. I copy/pasted this from a Quora about this:

"On desktops, most systems automatically disable the integrated graphics if you plug a graphics card into a slot. Most of the time that’s what you want; the integrated graphics slow down the CPU a bit because of contention for memory. On some systems you can disable that behavior and have both working at once, using each to drive different displays; you may also get the ability to choose which display will be primary. (That means the one that displays the power-on self test and BIOS screens, and will be the first display used by the OS when it loads.) In that case, your OS should recognize both displays and allow you to set them up to either mirror one set of contents or extend the desktop."
Mmm food for thought I guess, I wouldn't want the CPU slowed down, although it does say because of contention of memory, and I've just increased it to 32gb, so their should be plenty now, I suppose I could just give it a go and see what happens, although I'm hovering over that graphics card with the 4 HDMI slots thinking will that be the best option, decisions decisions ha ha, anyway thanks again for your input.

TG.

Hi Again

I have now replaced the graphics card with the ASUS GT710-4H-SL-2GD5 GeForce GT 710 2 GB GDRR5 with 4 x HDMI Ports that I linked too, and now have 32gb DDR3 memory installed and a 1TB SSD and 2 TB SSD and it seems all ok, I also changed the fan over the in the motherboard over the GPU, I am still getting some noise now and again, and I think it is coming from the PSU fan, so I'm thinking I may as well change that too, anyway I was looking at this one on Amazon here

I know its quite a powerful fan, so would it be ok with my system, as I am reading the more power the better for future proofing, their are 2 sizes of this particular one from what I can see, but this is the smaller size, so I'm wondering will it fit into my "Case STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE" which PCS provided, what do you think. Many thanks

TG.

If you are determined to replace the PSU, then I would go with the 550w variant of it and save £33 (£87.99 vs £129.99)...yu would never need 850w unless you were putting in a high-end latest release NVIDIA GPU.

As to it fitting the case, I would say probably? We have no access to any information on that case such as the manufacturer of it etc so no clue on the dimensions. Best thing to do is get a tape measure and measure the PSU area to see. Just to be aware: Upgrading to an RMx level PSU will require rewiring all the power leads in your case as much of the cabling will be different (the RMx being fully modular, your current PSU presumably not being modular at all)

Thanks so much for your reply, I did suspect the 850 might be over kill, so will go for the lower one, on the other note, could you please explain what you mean about rewiring all the power leads, you are correct my current PSU is not modular, but I thought it was just a matter of taking out the old one, and with a modular one just put in the leads you need and install it, which I'm sure are supplied with the PSU, I was planning on doing it myself, but I may possibly get it done by someone else.

TG.

What I meant was the wiring to the motherboard, GPU etc will need replacing....with an RMx PSU (a modular one), all the wires can be removed from the PSU by just unplugging the connector...with non-modular and semi-modular, the main cables (motherboard, GPU) are integrated into the PSU so they can't be unplugged. I don't know your current PSU but I suspect that it is of the non-modular variety. Hope I've vaguely explained that..haven't had much sleep so my brain isn't fully functional :rolleyes:
I think I know what you mean, my current PSU is not modular, so I have to unplug everything from the motherboard and take out the PSU, then with a modular one, I plug in the cables I need in the PSU (assuming I may not need them all ) then install the new RMX PSU, is that correct ?

There is another modular PSU which is just RM which is cheaper, so could probably go for that one.

Thanks again for your help 😊

TG.

Pretty much...though you will also need to replace the hard drive power cables etc as they are also integrated...basically, anything in the system that needs power will need it's cables replacing
Think I have it, but presumably all the cables that come with the PSU are the ones you need, to plug into everything that needs power, i.e. hard drive etc