New PC arrived today - help needed (can't connect monitor)

Dayve

Hello all, my new PC came today and as I was setting it up I found to my horror that there's no way to connect my monitor to the graphics card. The monitor cable is too small for the connector on the graphics card and there was no adaptor in my welcome pack like there has been in my other welcome packs. I tried to use one of the others but they too are all either too big or too small to fit on to the graphics card outlet at the back of the PC.

Eventually I found another adaptor in one of my old welcome packs which fit in to one of the other holes on the back of the case (in the graphics card). I plugged an adaptor on to the thing, plugged my monitor on to the end of that and switched the PC on but I could get no signal.

It's not an old monitor, it's a 23" AOC something or other I bought last year for around £200 or maybe £180 or something like that.

I hope I haven't damaged the windows installation by turning it on, then having to turn it off again by holding down the power button :(

Rakk

The Awesome
Hello all, my new PC came today and as I was setting it up I found to my horror that there's no way to connect my monitor to the graphics card. The monitor cable is too small for the connector on the graphics card and there was no adaptor in my welcome pack like there has been in my other welcome packs. I tried to use one of the others but they too are all either too big or too small to fit on to the graphics card outlet at the back of the PC.

Eventually I found another adaptor in one of my old welcome packs which fit in to one of the other holes on the back of the case (in the graphics card). I plugged an adaptor on to the thing, plugged my monitor on to the end of that and switched the PC on but I could get no signal.

Presuming your new GPU is the one listed in your spec in your sig i.e. is a 1060, I would've thought it would have 1 DVI slot, 1 HDMI and 3 DP ports (DP is the latest port type and the new GPUs seem to love them).

Any adapters that PCS used to include were VGA to DVI adaptors only, so this leads to the question of : are you now trying to use a VGA cable with a DVI connector on the end of it?
If so it will not work, the VGA cable can only transport an analogue signal which the new GPUs don't provide (at least I think the DVI ports are DVI-D ie. digital only).

So if you are using a VGA cable basically you need a new cable - DVI, HDMI or DP (while you "may" be able to get a VGA-DP active converter - it is better just to get a new cable) - if your monitor is new-ish it should at least have DVI and/or HDMI ports.

If you are not using a VGA cable let us know.

Edit: Other thoughts, after re-reading the post, were you trying to use a cable with mHDMI or mDP?

Last edited:

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
Also worth mentioning - monitors are no good at detecting the port you connect to on your Gfx card, you will need to go into the monitors menu and select the correct source (HDMI, DP or DVI)

Dayve

Right, been and bought some new cables. Will let you know how I go on when I try again later (put everything away and it's dinner time now lol).

Also, what are the chances of me screwing up the windows setup by doing what I did? Turning on, leaving on for 3-4 minutes, turning off by holding down the power button.