New PC Build. Advice/Thoughts wanted!

Vespre

Hi guys, I am upgrading from my Alienware M14x to a desktop. And after a lot of research into it, as this is my first time doing anything like this, I have settled on the following setup:

Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard: ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM): 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card: 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Hard Disk: 120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader: INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling: COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER (£59)
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities: 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options: 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Warranty: 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Price: £1,473.00 including VAT and delivery.

This PC is mainly for gaming, but I do do some rendering/encoding sometimes.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the 680 or go with a 580? The problem with the 580 is that it is now 'outdated', plus the 680 is obviously better for running games such as BF3 at ultra.

I will be over clocking the i5, hence the liquid cooling. I also have a 1TB drive at home that I will install.

Any advice? What do you think? How future proof do you think this will be, as I don't really want to be spending money on upgrades in the next few years?

Thanks in advance! Vespre.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The only thing that stands out as overkill to me is the RAM, 8GB would probably be fine. However i understand you want to make it future proof, RAM is also cheap so not too much of a worry on a 1.5k build.

The 580 is amazing value at the moment, but as always im a sucker for the new tech so i would get a 680 if you can.

Overall i would say it is a very nice build, well ballanced and will perform really well.

Vespre

Yeah, the only reason I'm going for 16GB rather than 8GB is purely since its only costing about 20 quid more so may as well.

With regards to the 580, I am getting mixed opinions all over the place. Some say it will be fine/powerful enough for a long time, and I can always grab another one and go SLI. But then again, the 680 is much more powerful, has more advanced features, and if I really wanted to upgrade it again - I can just buy another one of these. If I already had two 580's then upgrading is going to cost a looot more, as I've gota get two new cards.

In the long run, I am a sucker for new tech too so the 680 will probably win over. If I get the 580 I'll just feel like I have 'almost' got 'it', but not quite.

And thanks! Positive comments are always nice to see :)