New PC build for gaming only

velvetsky01

Bronze Level Poster
Funny enough I was about to post a simialr build with recently upgrading to a 2070 super and new 144hz monitor and was looking for some advice on a modern build - I too have a PCS build from 2015 this has an intel i7 6700k inside tho

I hope you dont mind me bumping this but I didnt wanna start another thread when we are both looking to do the same and make a saving with the GPU.

How does the above build sound guys?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've moved your posts into their own thread as it would be different for your build.

If you can post your full current specs, if it's a 6700k, I wouldn't suggest replacing the build yet, just upgrade it. It's got some years left yet.

velvetsky01

Bronze Level Poster
Oh thank you - So sorry for the trouble caused.

This is my current setup - however I now have a Gigabyte 2070 super and a Dell s2417dg Monitor

CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 780T FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPUOverclocked Intel® Core™i7-6700k Quad Core (4.00GHz @ upto MAX 4.60GHz)
OC BIOS FIleDownload Overclock BIOS File
MotherboardASUS® Z170-A: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3 DP
2nd Graphics CardNONE
3rd Graphics CardNONE
1st Storage Drive480GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD DriveNONE
1st PCI-E SSD DriveNONE
RAIDNONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNONE
External Hard DriveNONE
Memory Card ReaderNONE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED LightingNONE
Fan ControllerNONE
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Router/HomePlugsNONE
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Capture/Streaming CardsNONE
FirewireNONE
TV CardNONE
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 UpgradeFREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-VirusBULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
MonitorNONE
2nd MonitorNONE
Monitor CablesNONE
Eyefinity AdapterNONE
Keyboard & MouseNONE
MouseNONE
HeadsetsNONE
Mouse PadNONE
SpeakersNONE
WebcamNONE
Surge ProtectionNONE
Cable ManagementNONE
PrinterNONE

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Why are you looking to upgrade, what are you hoping to achieve? Your system is well matched to the monitor as it is, upgrading isn't going to change very much if anything at all really.

velvetsky01

Bronze Level Poster
OK thank you - I had a feeling this was the case. I purchased the PC and subsequent parts for this reason.

I am so out of touch with it all I guess I wished to check that the CPU is not too far out of date I guess. Especially for the latest games etc

I guess main reason for wishing to upgrade is the CPU & mobo are 5 years old and I see lots about bottlenecking etc with the newer cards (if I were to upgrade to one of those in the future) But I suppose It would be at that point I would upgrade the system as a whole? I guess I have an itch after purchasing the new monitor and 2070super...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK thank you - I had a feeling this was the case. I purchased the PC and subsequent parts for this reason.

I am so out of touch with it all I guess I wished to check that the CPU is not too far out of date I guess. Especially for the latest games etc

I guess main reason for wishing to upgrade is the CPU & mobo are 5 years old and I see lots about bottlenecking etc with the newer cards (if I were to upgrade to one of those in the future) But I suppose It would be at that point I would upgrade the system as a whole? I guess I have an itch after purchasing the new monitor and 2070super...
GPU is fine until next generation I'd say, there's no need to upgrade each generation unless you've got more money than sense.

The rest of the build should be fine for 7 - 10 years from purchase. If it's outdated before then, it wasn't suitably specced in the first place.

But your platform is solid for a few more years yet.