New PC crashing with no blue screen errors etc

danconroy

Hello all,

I got my new PC today, heres the specs before I explain the issue :

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS SE GAMING TOWER (Windowed)
Processor (CPU)
AMD FX-9590 Eight Core CPU (4.7GHz-5.0GHz/16MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard
ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/Sli)
Memory (RAM)
32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ R9 295X2 - DL DVI, 4 x DP - DX® 11 Eyefinity 6 Capable
1st Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
3TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD3003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
3rd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Fan Controller
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans
Sound Card
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus - exclusive ROG Command technology
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

So after first booting it up, doing the normal windows 8 song and dance I tried to install some graphics drivers. Boom, locks up with no errors. After multiply tries and the same crashes I got the drivers installed plus some other programs (anti virus, steam), I updated the audio drivers and I was thinking the issue was fixed. I've checked temps in the bios, nothing high at all all the fans are working as expected.

Then, crashed again. Its been doing this all afternoon now and I've given up and left it shut down for the night.

Anyone have any ideas?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Best way to rule out a software/driver problem is a clean installation of the OS, something might have went wrong with the OS installation.

Load the software back on slowly and see if anything in particular is causing the issue.

if that fails then we need to start looking at hardware like RAM or GPU seating. I would try a clean OS first though, seeing as its new it should be too much bother as you wont have too many things to reinstall.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The disk is the easiest way since you shouldn't have lost it yet :p

I know its not ideal to be doing this on a new rig but it shouldn't take long. It really will rule out many problems that will save time in the long run.

Just one point to bear in mind. When installing the OS let the installation finish then install the drivers as normal. After this only add in software slowly, that way it will be much easier to point to the offending software if it is software related. The clean installation should nail it though.

danconroy

I found the disk, ran a clean install after sorting out the partitions etc.

Lets see how it copes now =/ Thanks again for the help mate!

danconroy

Well sadly its still doing it, I got up to installing a game from steam before it died on me.

Ok I did some more testing, installing to the other 2 hdd's seems to cause the crash.

Installing to the main SSD everything works fine, so...I have no clue how to fix this lol.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Alright, so everything you install on the SSD works fine but when you try to install anything onto the HDD's it crashes? if so we can clear the GPU etc

First step would be re seating the SATA connectors at both ends, if you can narrow it down to which drive is causing the issue that would help. if re seating the connectors don't help try them in different slots, if possible on a different controller. (different coloured sata ports)

danconroy

Well I don't want to jinx it, but I did another clean install of windows 8 and its looking good so far.

To test I threw the graphics drivers onto one of the other HDD's and it worked, same with steam and a game which ran lovely.

So yeah, no idea why its ok on the 2nd go maybe I screwed up the first one. Thanks for all the help and feedback mantadog, I hope its deffo fixed now lol.

danconroy

Sorry to bump this up, but this is driving me abit mad.

So, after the PC was sent back a second time the thought was a faulty graphics card. Now its back with a brand new card, my pc looks like its locking up..but its not.

The screen will freeze until I press a key, or plug/unplug something from a usb. I can't think of what this could be, I have 3 screens but one of them is a cintiq so I have no idea if thats causing the issue or not.

Anyone had this? is it some kind of windows 8.1 BS? When it stops, it looks like its locked up but as I said, all you have to do is press a key and its back.

My heads wreaked lol.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry to bump this up, but this is driving me abit mad.

So, after the PC was sent back a second time the thought was a faulty graphics card. Now its back with a brand new card, my pc looks like its locking up..but its not.

The screen will freeze until I press a key, or plug/unplug something from a usb. I can't think of what this could be, I have 3 screens but one of them is a cintiq so I have no idea if thats causing the issue or not.

Anyone had this? is it some kind of windows 8.1 BS? When it stops, it looks like its locked up but as I said, all you have to do is press a key and its back.

My heads wreaked lol.

Can you get into the desktop ok? If so, open an elevated command prompt as administrator and run sfc /scannow. Run it three times and see if it finds any errors. Windows 8 BSOD is a blue screen, I've never seen that behaviour.