New PC for Gaming

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Good luck with the fixing up, keep us posted about your plans. :)

An RTX 2060 is very decent for 1440p gaming. So even if the budget is reduced, there are still a lot of options for a great gaming PC.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
Good luck with the fixing up, keep us posted about your plans. :)

An RTX 2060 is very decent for 1440p gaming. So even if the budget is reduced, there are still a lot of options for a great gaming PC.

so the new cpu's and mobos come out 7th, how lnog will it be before we get the reviews to decide what to use and how much they cost?
someone also posted about nvidias new cards so is that going to mean longer waiting?
i also may need to drop the price abit and maybe get 1 screen for now sadly :( would £2000 with screen still be reasonable for my needs?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Usually what happens is this: in advance of release, the company will send samples out to reviewers. Reviewers get (hopefully) a week or two to test the stuff and prepare their writeups. On launch day (so 7th July in this case) the NDA lifts and all the reviews go up pretty much at once.

With new CPU launches, companies like Asus and Gigabyte will usually send out some of their higher end model motherboards for the reviewers to use.

The especially interesting thing here is that the CPUs will function (subject to BIOS updates) on most existing 300/400 series motherboards. So I think on 7th July we'll not only see reviews of the CPUs themselves, but comparative articles discussing how they perform on 300/400 series mobos versus the new 500 series ones.

Sometimes a launch is rushed and it doesn't go down that way, but Zen 2 doesn't feel rushed at all.

Occasionally the NDA lifts before launch and we see reviews before that, though that's less common these days. We might see a review leak early.

As for pricing, products are usually available for preorder before launch day, though not always. I imagine there'll be preorders for Zen 2; AMD will want to feed off the enthusiasm for these new parts. Where the manufacturer allows preorders, PCS usually offer these. Pricing of course can vary by retailer.

The only issues I think we might see affecting reviews are early BIOS version issues. So with the very first launch of Zen, an entirely new architecture on entirely new mobos, we saw the same CPUs sometimes perform a bit better on Asus rather than Gigabyte boards mainly because Asus just had their BIOS revisions coming out faster than Gigabyte as I recall.

I expect we'll have quite a lot of info on 7th July. Probably enough to base a purchasing decision on.

Videocardz usually publish a list of reviews: https://videocardz.com/ (though they omit one or two sites like GamersNexus they've had a spat with)

someone also posted about nvidias new cards so is that going to mean longer waiting?
These are rumoured to come out mid-July. They'll probably get announced in advance. The biggest beneficiary of the refresh seems to be the RTX 2060 going to the RTX 2060 'Super' which as well as getting more cores like all the cards also gets 2gb VRAM and more memory bandwidth. The expectation is that the new GPUs are a response to AMD's Navi cards, and that as such they will (surprisingly) sell for the same price as the current RTX 2000 cards instead of being marked up. Making the 'free' upgrade on an RTX 2060 quite attractive. And further undermining the reason for the RTX 2070's existence...

We'll see in the coming weeks what there is to see.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
ah thanks for the info, i did read up on the new "super" cards and was wondering if the 2080 super can rival the 2080ti, it has less cuda cores but 2gb more memory ram (or so the numbers say) i wonder how it will compare to if the TI is still worth buying.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The 2080 is not getting a VRAM increase. Only the 2060 is.

The 2080 ti is a TU102 GPU, with 4352 CUDA cores and 11GB VRAM.

The only card that's faster is the Titan RTX which is the full TU102 with 4608 CUDA cores.

The 2080 super going up to 3072 cores from 2944 is just going to the max of the TU104 GPU. Maybe yields are a bit better now so they can do that.

The 2080 super will have faster clocked GDDR6 than the 2080 ti, though still lower memory bandwidth/less VRAM. Memory speed boosts tend to make relatively little difference to performance versus core count/frequency improvements.

The 2080 Super will probably be a relatively small bump over the 2080, compared to the kind of bump we'll see on the 2060.

Although if it's more performance at the same price, it's still cool.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
just wondering how my origional spec lines up now or if i should construct a new one? and if so just start a new thread?

Last edited: