it's been a mental couple of weeks in regards to this pc:

Case
FRACTAL DESIGN R3 - BLACK PEARL CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
3GB AMD RADEON™ HD7970 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£69)

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD (£36)

Monitor
IIYAMA E2473HDS 24" LED WIDESCREEN, 2 HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080 (£159)

Keyboard
Razer® Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (£109)

Mouse
Razer® Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI Infrared Gaming Mouse (£49)

Speakers
LOGITECH Z323 2.1 SPEAKERS - 30W RMS with 360 Degree Sound (£44)

Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)

Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON (£9)

Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£59)

originally I ordered this pc on the 13th of Jan (friday night) with 3 day fast track delivery. Updates were given frequently via e-mail and on the customer support pages on the site, this was a nice touch and I appreciated the communication with the customer.

By wednesday the 18th the PC was built and ready to ship, awesomely enough it turned up at approx 10am on thursday the 19th and I went about setting it up. The delivery came as 2 large boxes, one contained the PC tower and welcome pack (along with driver disks, spare screws and cables etc) and the other one had all the accessories (monitor, razer peripherals, speakers etc). Set up was quick and painless then I went to turn on the PC

"CPU Temp error, press F1 for setup"

my heart sank a little at this point... Thinking it may be a bug I booted into the BIOS and saw the CPU temp falling from 80. I quit the BIOS and exited into windows without a hitch, downloaded realtemp and sure enough all the cores were peaking at 95 and throttling down.

I disconnected the PC, opened it up and noted the CPU Cooler and fan were wobbling on top of the CPU... I called support who advised the screws may have come loose in transit so I tried tightening the thumbscrews and the screws on the back of the mobo but to no avail, it still wobbled like a motherbitch. While this likely happened during transit I also noted some artifacts onscreen when booting and the screen flickered on and off when in windows, additionally the 2 case fans hadn't been hooked up (the power cable for the fan controller was cable tidied and never connected)

needless to say I sent the PC back, it was RMAd on friday 20th, picked up by DPD and sent back to PCS

the pc arrived with PCS on monday 23rd Jan, they confirmed delivery and it was then evaluated on Tuesday 24th, again customer support were really good and kept me in the loop the entire time. The PC was "fixed" and sent back on tuesday evening with the fault report showing that the case fans had been hooked up, a bent heatsink bracket was replaced and the gfx card was replaced due to artifacting... I was relieved that it had been fixed and looked forward to it arriving back.

DPD delivered the PC back to me on wednesday 25th... I nervously opened it back up without the same sense of excitement I'd had the first time it arrived... this time I was just scared and hoped it was going to just work.

*thunk* as soon as i tilted the PC upright I heard something move inside the case... profanities were shouted. Upon opening the case back up it was immediately apparent that EXACTLY THE SAME BLOODY ISSUE WAS THERE. The CPU heatsink was wobbling all over the CPU, the heatsink fan had obviously come off in transit and was rattling around the case too.

I took the CPU heatsink and fan off completely and noted that:

a.) the H-bracket was bent again
b.) thermal paste had not been re-applied when it was RMAd, it still had the remnants of the original thermal paste on the heatsink and cpu (I knew because it was dry as buggery and i'd taken a photo of the original mess the paste had made before sending it back) so even if the heatsink was making a flush connection with the CPU the craggy, dry TIM would have hindered conductivity rather than helped it...

As I was still within the 14 day grace period I was seriously tempted to send the PC back for good... however I went into stress, single minded focus mode and just decided to fix it. Popped to maplin, picked up some antec formula 6 thermal paste, some citrus based TIM cleaner and 2x extra case fans...

after about 2 hours of work today (including bending the H bracket back to its original shape in a door frame) it's all fixed, the PC's running fine, all drivers updated and steam games added. The paste has burned in fine and temps aren't going above 55 on the CPU full load and 70 on the radeon HD7970 full load. before installing everything I ran a 3dmark11 and got just over 8000 without any overclocking so can't complain there.

frankly the PC is great, monitor and peripherals are fantastic, communication with the customer during building AND the fact that the tech support guys obviously know what they're talking about were second to none... Unfortunately I'm just left feeling "meh" about the whole experience. I'm sure the CPU cooler would have been applied correctly which tells me that DPD were not careful with the package (that also has the words "CAUTION, HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE" pasted all over it) both times it was delivered to me, but the case fans weren't connected originally and thermal paste was not re-applied when it was sent back for fixing and these seem like pretty schoolboy errors on PCS' part whether or not DPD handled the box like the Hulk.

So I'm happy with the PC now (finally) but I couldn't honestly recommend PCS simply because of all the issues I've had. Luckily enough I had just enough PC experience to fix it myself but if I hadn't then I feel this whole experience would have gone back and forth for weeks until I simply blew up down the phone and asked for a brand new pc.

sorry for the negativity, just had to be honest and will post some pics tomorrow when it's not so bloody dark in here (energy saving lightbulbs seriously suck o_O)

edit - updated with a few images, will open the case up later and take a couple but at the moment I'm just scared to move the thing incase it breaks again!!

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2360/img2309o.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8125/img2308y.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2846/img2307pz.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4962/img2306lw.jpg
http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/962/img2305o.jpg
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/8249/img2304s.jpg

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
it's been a mental couple of weeks in regards to this pc:

Case
FRACTAL DESIGN R3 - BLACK PEARL CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
3GB AMD RADEON™ HD7970 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£69)

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD (£36)

Monitor
IIYAMA E2473HDS 24" LED WIDESCREEN, 2 HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080 (£159)

Keyboard
Razer® Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (£109)

Mouse
Razer® Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI Infrared Gaming Mouse (£49)

Speakers
LOGITECH Z323 2.1 SPEAKERS - 30W RMS with 360 Degree Sound (£44)

Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)

Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON (£9)

Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£59)

originally I ordered this pc on the 13th of Jan (friday night) with 3 day fast track delivery. Updates were given frequently via e-mail and on the customer support pages on the site, this was a nice touch and I appreciated the communication with the customer.

By wednesday the 18th the PC was built and ready to ship, awesomely enough it turned up at approx 10am on thursday the 19th and I went about setting it up. The delivery came as 2 large boxes, one contained the PC tower and welcome pack (along with driver disks, spare screws and cables etc) and the other one had all the accessories (monitor, razer peripherals, speakers etc). Set up was quick and painless then I went to turn on the PC

"CPU Temp error, press F1 for setup"

my heart sank a little at this point... Thinking it may be a bug I booted into the BIOS and saw the CPU temp falling from 80. I quit the BIOS and exited into windows without a hitch, downloaded realtemp and sure enough all the cores were peaking at 95 and throttling down.

I disconnected the PC, opened it up and noted the CPU Cooler and fan were wobbling on top of the CPU... I called support who advised the screws may have come loose in transit so I tried tightening the thumbscrews and the screws on the back of the mobo but to no avail, it still wobbled like a motherbitch. While this likely happened during transit I also noted some artifacts onscreen when booting and the screen flickered on and off when in windows, additionally the 2 case fans hadn't been hooked up (the power cable for the fan controller was cable tidied and never connected)

needless to say I sent the PC back, it was RMAd on friday 20th, picked up by DPD and sent back to PCS

the pc arrived with PCS on monday 23rd Jan, they confirmed delivery and it was then evaluated on Tuesday 24th, again customer support were really good and kept me in the loop the entire time. The PC was "fixed" and sent back on tuesday evening with the fault report showing that the case fans had been hooked up, a bent heatsink bracket was replaced and the gfx card was replaced due to artifacting... I was relieved that it had been fixed and looked forward to it arriving back.

DPD delivered the PC back to me on wednesday 25th... I nervously opened it back up without the same sense of excitement I'd had the first time it arrived... this time I was just scared and hoped it was going to just work.

*thunk* as soon as i tilted the PC upright I heard something move inside the case... profanities were shouted. Upon opening the case back up it was immediately apparent that EXACTLY THE SAME BLOODY ISSUE WAS THERE. The CPU heatsink was wobbling all over the CPU, the heatsink fan had obviously come off in transit and was rattling around the case too.

I took the CPU heatsink and fan off completely and noted that:

a.) the H-bracket was bent again
b.) thermal paste had not been re-applied when it was RMAd, it still had the remnants of the original thermal paste on the heatsink and cpu (I knew because it was dry as buggery and i'd taken a photo of the original mess the paste had made before sending it back) so even if the heatsink was making a flush connection with the CPU the craggy, dry TIM would have hindered conductivity rather than helped it...

As I was still within the 14 day grace period I was seriously tempted to send the PC back for good... however I went into stress, single minded focus mode and just decided to fix it. Popped to maplin, picked up some antec formula 6 thermal paste, some citrus based TIM cleaner and 2x extra case fans...

after about 2 hours of work today (including bending the H bracket back to its original shape in a door frame) it's all fixed, the PC's running fine, all drivers updated and steam games added. The paste has burned in fine and temps aren't going above 55 on the CPU full load and 70 on the radeon HD7970 full load. before installing everything I ran a 3dmark11 and got just over 8000 without any overclocking so can't complain there.

frankly the PC is great, monitor and peripherals are fantastic, communication with the customer during building AND the fact that the tech support guys obviously know what they're talking about were second to none... Unfortunately I'm just left feeling "meh" about the whole experience. I'm sure the CPU cooler would have been applied correctly which tells me that DPD were not careful with the package (that also has the words "CAUTION, HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE" pasted all over it) both times it was delivered to me, but the case fans weren't connected originally and thermal paste was not re-applied when it was sent back for fixing and these seem like pretty schoolboy errors on PCS' part whether or not DPD handled the box like the Hulk.

So I'm happy with the PC now (finally) but I couldn't honestly recommend PCS simply because of all the issues I've had. Luckily enough I had just enough PC experience to fix it myself but if I hadn't then I feel this whole experience would have gone back and forth for weeks until I simply blew up down the phone and asked for a brand new pc.

sorry for the negativity, just had to be honest and will post some pics tomorrow when it's not so bloody dark in here (energy saving lightbulbs seriously suck o_O)

That was very informative and balanced view of your experience. I am still waiting for my pc and if I experienced the same situation I'd have not felt comfortable opening the unit and trying to fix it myself. I have read a few threads regarding people unhappy with the delivery (as well as many positive reviews). I think that PCS could try to offer more than a choice regarding the delivery method, perhaps Parcerforce.

Corfate

Author Level
I'm sorry to hear that you had those problems with your pc :/ just sounds like one of those things, and you were the unlucky one to experience it :/ at least you have it up and running though :) can't wait for those pictures!

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Sorry to hear of your problems vmagic, and thanks for the honest review.

Just to point out, rubensolo, DPD have had excellent reviews mostly. There is a thread on the forums (at the top I think) where people post reviews about DPD. Have a browse through there, it might make you feel a bit happier. I've had a couple of deliveries from DPD via PCS, and theyve been nothing short of perfect.

vmagic

updated with a few photos... poor lighting in here = bad pics, will use the missus' digital camera later to retake and open up the case to get a pic of the innards

cheers

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Have some rep for the pics and your unfortunate issues.

Points docked for blatant product placement! This isn't America :D

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Sorry to hear of your problems vmagic, and thanks for the honest review.

Just to point out, rubensolo, DPD have had excellent reviews mostly. There is a thread on the forums (at the top I think) where people post reviews about DPD. Have a browse through there, it might make you feel a bit happier. I've had a couple of deliveries from DPD via PCS, and theyve been nothing short of perfect.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have seen plenty of positive feedbacks I am confident PCS will get any issues sort it if there is a problem in transit. It is however still something occurring with a few customers and DPD should be aware of to minimise the risk of damage in transit.

Last edited:

nicorm

Hello all, new to the forums, loving what I have read so far, and the congenial atmosphere here - hoping to post my own "spec me" thread soon; however, kind of worried about this post, even if it is an exception, that the problem did not seem to have been addressed when the PC was sent back for the second time - would love to read a clearer explanation of what happened.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
My Logitech G510 or whatever it is does that...I think most modern "gaming" keyboard have back lit keys, and yes, yes they are the essence of awesomeness :D

vmagic

heh... well, a week or so after now having the PC working I can safely say it's good... albeit has some issues, don't think the current problems are PCS' fault though tbh

a.) I reinstalled the CPU cooler myself with some decent thermal paste... on stock clocks it now doesn't go over 65 on prime95 stress testing and usually hits about 50-55 during gaming, idling around 25-30degrees. It's a shame I had to sort it myself but meh, if it ever goes wrong again I'll just send the part back and get them to send a part out rather than shipping the entire PC (I just don't trust DPD now)

b.) strange bugs with specific games... Skyrim stutters when running in fullscreen mode, I fixed it by playing in 1080p windowed mode and using the "simple borderless window" mod to fullscreen it - now tis flawless and runs at 60fps on ultra. Assassin's Creed Revelations also stutters, can't fix it, tried forcing triple buffering with a 3rd party program but to no avail. Crysis2 runs at a pretty low frame rate until I alt+enter to put it to windowed mode then alt+enter again to re-fullscreen it then it runs buttery smooth on dx11 ultra, however it suffers from some strange transparency flickering. World of Warcraft stutters unless I tick the "reduce input lag" box. All these issues I simply didn't have before on my laptop gt555m (overclocked) and I've read reports of others with the 7970 running these games fine so it's strange tbh - running latest drivers and CAP profile. It's not all bad, I have absolutely no issues with Dirt3, Battlefield3 (looks stunning), dead space2, the witcher2 etc so it seems a select few games just don't like this card

c.) my RAM is showing as 1333 in the BIOS when it should be 1600... will call PCS tomorrow to try and fix it... could be as simple as choosing "1600mhz" from a dropdown in the BIOS OR I might have to mess with RAM timings o_O

all in all the PC is running OK now, I'm slightly dissapointed with the issues I've had with some games as I expected them to just work - but I reckon that "might" be teething issues with such a new card. Still, kinda makes me with I had gone for a GTX 580 instead

vmagic

fixed the RAM by enabling X.M.P profile in the BIOS... don't ask me what it does, seems stable and hasn't changed CPU frequency so all is good o_O

edit - and in response to the OP, the keyboard is the razer blackwidow ultimate... it's by far the best keyboard I've had and, because it's mechanical it makes that awesome clicky 90s keyboard sound :-D

Last edited: