New PC / How do I use multiple monitors?

Hello, wow it has been 10 years since I purchased my last PC and things have changed a bit! Sorry to ask on here, I've tried to google it but no luck.

So my new GFX card is the "8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 7600 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12"

I notice it has 4 outputs in the back, 1 is the normal HDMI that I am used to and the other 3 are unknown to me (And from the looks of it identical).

A few questions:
1) Does this mean my card can support 4 screens? (I only want 2)
2) Is the HDMI I'm using old tech? and the 3 others new tech?
3) If I buy a new screen I assume it/they will connect to these new ports.

I also assume my quite old screen is not going to live up to the potential of my new PC.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks a lot!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello, wow it has been 10 years since I purchased my last PC and things have changed a bit! Sorry to ask on here, I've tried to google it but no luck.

So my new GFX card is the "8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 7600 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12"

I notice it has 4 outputs in the back, 1 is the normal HDMI that I am used to and the other 3 are unknown to me (And from the looks of it identical).

A few questions:
1) Does this mean my card can support 4 screens? (I only want 2)
2) Is the HDMI I'm using old tech? and the 3 others new tech?
3) If I buy a new screen I assume it/they will connect to these new ports.

I also assume my quite old screen is not going to live up to the potential of my new PC.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks a lot!
HDMI isn't really used for PC's although you can, but normally you'd use the others which are Display Port.

And yes, the card can support 4 monitors.

You don't need a new screen, if your monitor only has HDMI, you can just use a DP to HDMI adapter / cable. But the GPU pairs with the monitor, so if you've got a 1080p GPU which you have, and you're using a lesser resolution, then you're never going to get the potential of the GPU.

HDMI isn't really used for PC's although you can, but normally you'd use the others which are Display Port.

And yes, the card can support 4 monitors.
Thank you for the fast reply!

So if I go to PC world and buy any TV it'll connect to these "Display Ports" or do I want to specifically look for a 'PC Display'?

My last 2 screens were gifts so I've not purchased a screen in almost 2 decades hehe.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for the fast reply!

So if I go to PC world and buy any TV it'll connect to these "Display Ports" or do I want to specifically look for a 'PC Display'?

My last 2 screens were gifts so I've not purchased a screen in almost 2 decades hehe.
TV's are not Monitors, they connect via HDMI

Monitors are very different to TV's, they're normally far higher quality panels and go at higher refresh rates.

A PC gaming monitor needs to be a minimum of 144Hz to be considered gaming. Anything under that isn't really a gaming monitor.

But any PC gaming monitor would be connected by DP, not HDMI.

HDMI is for multimedia setups or connecting through HiFi's, not for PC's.

TV's are not PC's, they connect via HDMI

Monitors are very different to TV's, they're normally far higher quality panels and go at higher refresh rates.

A PC gaming monitor needs to be a minimum of 144Hz to be considered gaming. Anything under that isn't really a gaming monitor.

But any PC gaming monitor would be connected by DP, not HDMI.

HDMI is for multimedia setups or connecting through HiFi's, not for PC's.
Great thank you, I've probably been missing out all these years! Going to go to the Monitor section on this forum and try and find myself a good one! (A proper Gaming Monitor!), thank you for the advice, I have learned :)

Hrm, I am finding an issue, I just measured my screen and it's 48 inches across and I don't think I want a smaller screen! But am finding it hard to find a 1080p Gaming Display, they do not appear to go bigger than 27"? I'll continue my search...

Oh I think I can get a 1080p 34" display with exactly 144Hz at a reasonable price, hopefully with a second monitor the size reduction won't be an issue. Thank you for the advice.

Man I love this new PC so much, I want to give it the best peripherals hehe.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hrm, I am finding an issue, I just measured my screen and it's 48 inches across and I don't think I want a smaller screen! But am finding it hard to find a 1080p Gaming Display, they do not appear to go bigger than 27"? I'll continue my search...
In PC gaming, resolution needs to meet a size, otherwise you will see the individual pixels and it's just an incredibly poor experience.

At that kind of size you'd be looking at 4k

1080p Max 24" optimally
1440p 27"
4k 32" up to about 80"

But you'd need a far more powerful GPU to run 4k.

It's probably bad for my eyes but I sit right in front of my 48" monitor (It is pushed against the wall and it's probably 2 feet away as I have a relatively large computer desk. I don't have a TV and use my PC for everything.

I minimise my windows so that I can have 60% of the screen for the game I am playing and 40% for Media like streaming TV / Reading the Web. Often 20% of my screen is going unused, so a second monitor will be perfect for me (Finally I can stop using Window mode!).

I've found this one which I like the look of, half of it's description is computer jargon to me but what do you think? (It's not 4k so my GPU should be able to handle this one?), it's only 34 inches but I've measured that out and I think I can accept it with the fact I'll be getting a second (Smaller) display.

AOC Gaming U34G3XM - 34 Inch QHD Monitor, 144Hz, 1MS MPRT, VA, FreeSync Premium, Height Adjust, Low Input Lag (3440 x 1440 @ 144z, 300 cd/m², HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.4)​

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's probably bad for my eyes but I sit right in front of my 48" monitor (It is pushed against the wall and it's probably 2 feet away as I have a relatively large computer desk. I don't have a TV and use my PC for everything.

I minimise my windows so that I can have 60% of the screen for the game I am playing and 40% for Media like streaming TV / Reading the Web. Often 20% of my screen is going unused, so a second monitor will be perfect for me (Finally I can stop using Window mode!).

I've found this one which I like the look of, half of it's description is computer jargon to me but what do you think? (It's not 4k so my GPU should be able to handle this one?), it's only 34 inches but I've measured that out and I think I can accept it with the fact I'll be getting a second (Smaller) display.

AOC Gaming U34G3XM - 34 Inch QHD Monitor, 144Hz, 1MS MPRT, VA, FreeSync Premium, Height Adjust, Low Input Lag (3440 x 1440 @ 144z, 300 cd/m², HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.4)​

I can't comment any further, that would be a dreadful experience. Could never recommend it. Having multiple windows on a 1080p monitor is just insane, there's no real estate for it.

Sorry, I'll bow out.

Just can't bring myself to make that level of bad acceptable.

Nice, thank you for that delightful remark, I was poor for years and had to accept what I got given, you make do with what you get in life.

Anyway, reported. There was no need for that.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nice, thank you for that delightful remark, I was poor for years and had to accept what I got given, you make do with what you get in life.

Anyway, reported. There was no need for that.
It’s interesting you took offence rather than guidance. There was no slight in what I said, only stating that I couldn’t condone your decision to go that large on a 1080p screen.

But thanks for the report, that’s very appreciated.

Sorry, my bad, I thought you had decided to stop talking to me because of my previous experience/method, not that you didn't think I needed a large 1080p screen (24" is far far too small for me), I mistook your protest. Sorry, it was very late at night. (I've used the report function a second time on that same post to retract my previous report, hope that works).

Surely if I have no issues with a 48" Screen using a 10 year old GFX Card I will only see improvements on a 34" screen with a brand new GFX Card and Monitor? Even if it is still too big for your tastes? I don't see the pixels now (48") so why would a 34" be an issue? (Genuine question, maybe there is something I am not considering?)

Considering I am more than happy with my current resolution when watching TV/Playing Games I won't be upset if I see no improvements, I mostly just want a screen that has a higher refresh rate. (Maybe I had not explained what I wanted enough, sorry).

Edit: Got myself two screens, 34" and 27" and its lovely if not a bit smaller than I like, but getting used to it, picture is so crisp in comparison to my old screen :D

Last edited: