New PC, no image on screen

Spyder_Webb

Ok so my new shiny PC arrived today and I have set it up but I can't seem to get a display on the monitor.

I tried connecting via HDMI from the GPU to a monitor on my work PC (ViewSonic 1080 Full HD) but I am just getting "no display" message. I also tried connecting to a Philips 4100 series HD LED TV (model: 32PHH4100/88) via HDMI and I'm getting a "no display" message on that too. The monitor definitely works as it comes on when I plug it back into my work PC. I've also tried both HDMI ports on the GPU and both HDMI ports on the monitor/TV but with no luck.

I'm worried because my new PC is switched on and I don't know what it's doing without a display. The advice book says not to turn it off until Windows has successfully installed - but I don't know how I am supposed to know that without a display! So I currently don't want to turn it off.

Any ideas?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok so my new shiny PC arrived today and I have set it up but I can't seem to get a display on the monitor.

I tried connecting via HDMI from the GPU to a monitor on my work PC (ViewSonic 1080 Full HD) but I am just getting "no display" message. I also tried connecting to a Philips 4100 series HD LED TV (model: 32PHH4100/88) via HDMI and I'm getting a "no display" message on that too. The monitor definitely works as it comes on when I plug it back into my work PC. I've also tried both HDMI ports on the GPU and both HDMI ports on the monitor/TV but with no luck.

I'm worried because my new PC is switched on and I don't know what it's doing without a display. The advice book says not to turn it off until Windows has successfully installed - but I don't know how I am supposed to know that without a display! So I currently don't want to turn it off.

Any ideas?
To turn it off you just press and hold the power button until it powers off.

Can you take a photo of the rear of the case with the cables plugged in?

Spyder_Webb

To turn it off you just press and hold the power button until it powers off.

Can you take a photo of the rear of the case with the cables plugged in?
Thanks. But SHOULD I turn it off? The booklet says not to turn it off using the power button...
0001.jpg

It also said somewhere that Windows may take a while to install properly (up to 5 mins) - but I don't know if this has finished or not if I can't see the screen!
0002.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks. But SHOULD I turn it off? The booklet says not to turn it off using the power button...
View attachment 30123
It also said somewhere that Windows may take a while to install properly (up to 5 mins) - but I don't know if this has finished or not if I can't see the screen!
View attachment 30124
You haven't started anything with windows yet, you haven't got that far.

In normal circumstances, you'd shut it down correctly if you were in windows, but obviously that's not possible at the moment.

Are there any lights on the motherboard? Does it make any beeps when it starts up?

Spyder_Webb

It definitely made a good few beeps - a bit like an alarm almost - wasn't sure if that was telling me something was wrong or it's supposed to do that every time it starts up?

As for lights on the MB - there's a little white light on near the RAM, a Cooler Master logo lit up in white and some RGB type changing colours going on towards the back - near the sockets on the rear

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It definitely made a good few beeps - a bit like an alarm almost - wasn't sure if that was telling me something was wrong or it's supposed to do that every time it starts up?
Those are called post codes. One quick beep is a normal startup, anything else suggests an error.

Can you start it again and tell us the beep code? It will be something like 1 long beep and 3 short beeps or something like that, need to be specific

Could you post your full specs from the order page again?

Spyder_Webb

It does 1 short beep. Then a few seconds later does one long beep followed by 3 short beeps. Then after about 30 seconds it does it all again. I'll get you the specs now...

Spyder_Webb

Here are the specs: NB: I didn't get the listed monitor in the end:

Case
COOLERMASTER SILENCIO S600 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Case Fans
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Monitor
IIYAMA G-MASTER GB2760QSU-B1 27"
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK270 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It does 1 short beep. Then a few seconds later does one long beep followed by 3 short beeps. Then after about 30 seconds it does it all again. I'll get you the specs now...
Cool, so that would point to a GPU issue.

Next thing to do is power it off, and turn the switch off at the PSU where the power cable goes in.

Then there's one screw on the bracket of the GPU holding it into the case frame at the back, unscrew that, then there's a little latch at the end of the PCIe lane that the GPU slots into on the motherboard. Just release that, pull out the GPU and slot it firmly back in so the PCIe latch is locked in place.

Then make take out the 2 PCIe power cables that go into the side of the GPU and plug them firmly back in again.

The put the screw back into the chassis.

And try powering it on again.

Spyder_Webb

Hi

I just tried a different HDMI cable and it is working via the TV now - I have a screen saying "Hi there" and so I will follow the onscreen instructions...

Thanks so much for your help. I used to be so technically minded but have no idea these days!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

I just tried a different HDMI cable and it is working via the TV now - I have a screen saying "Hi there" and so I will follow the onscreen instructions...

Thanks so much for your help. I used to be so technically minded but have no idea these days!
Ah, well done, it's likely the GPU had just become a little loose in transit and just needed a little nudge into place.

Spyder_Webb

Cool, so that would point to a GPU issue.

Next thing to do is power it off, and turn the switch off at the PSU where the power cable goes in.

Then there's one screw on the bracket of the GPU holding it into the case frame at the back, unscrew that, then there's a little latch at the end of the PCIe lane that the GPU slots into on the motherboard. Just release that, pull out the GPU and slot it firmly back in so the PCIe latch is locked in place.

Then make take out the 2 PCIe power cables that go into the side of the GPU and plug them firmly back in again.

The put the screw back into the chassis.

And try powering it on again.
Hi thanks for this I will try this too if I have more problems

Actually, there was a little rubber thing that had come loose in the foam packaging and it looked like it should rest on top of a metal arm which extended underneath the GPU (the rubber thing had a narrow slit in it) for the GPU to rest on - does that sound right or have I just put a random piece of rubber inside my PC?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Actually, there was a little rubber thing that had come loose in the foam packaging and it looked like it should rest on top of a metal arm which extended underneath the GPU (the rubber thing had a narrow slit in it) for the GPU to rest on - does that sound right or have I just put a random piece of rubber inside my PC?
If you can take a photo we can have a look.

RichLan564

Bright Spark

Thats the GPU support bracket to stop the GPU sagging and the rubber bumper should go where you have described it