New PC not booting

BreGel

So after over 2 months of waiting I finally received my new PC.

Problem is it doesn’t boot up half the time. I got in touch with PCS and they seemed to think it was maybe the firecuda ssd,so they sent me a new one. Unfortunately this hasn’t sorted the problem. Once I had reinstalled windows I have the same problem.

When I boot up the PC it gets past the post screen then when the PCS logo appears and the little circle of dots shows on the screen to indicate it’s loading it either starts normally and everything works or it hangs. The pc stays on but it just doesn’t properly boot up. I have to press and hold the power button to shut it down. Then when I boot it up again after a failed boot it almost always properly boots up again.

Anyone any ideas what could be causing this.

Thanks

My specs -

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 680X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Check all the RAM and graphic cards are fully seated, make sure all the cables are plugged into the PSU and motherboard properly

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Pull one of the RAM sticks and try it for a while on just one. Then swap the sticks over and see whether you see any difference.

BreGel

Ok tried taking each one out and then I tried putting them in the 2 slots that were empty, still doing the same thing.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok tried taking each one out and then I tried putting them in the 2 slots that were empty, still doing the same thing.
Fair enough.

Do you hear any beeps on startup in addition to the normal POST complete beep?

How often does this startup problem happen? Is it every cold boot or not?

Have you made any changes in the BIOS settings?

Do you have any external devices plugged in (except for mouse, keyboard, and monitor)? If so unplug them and try booting again.

Are your mouse/keyboard wireless? If so are you able to try a wired mouse and keyboard to test?

Can you reproduce this problem when booting a USB stick with the Windows install media on, or with a Linux distro on?

When you reinstalled WIndows how did you do that? Was it from bootable media? Where did you get the drivers from?

Did you test it for the failed booting issue before you installed any other software or made any config changes (except for running Windows Update)?

BreGel

Hi
Just the normal beep when booting up.

It seems to be every second time I power on the pc.
No changes have been made in the bios.

I have the power cable, HDMI, wired mouse and keyboard connected. Nothing else.

As I initially stated I got in touch with PCS about the problem. They thought it was potentially the firecuda 1TB M2 which they replaced. I then installed windows 10 using a usb flash drive. But I still have the same problem. All that I’ve done since the windows reinstall is downloaded all the windows updates and the latest Nvidia drivers.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
This probably has nothing to do with your problem but I will pop it in the thread as I had a similar issue.

My PC ran fine from the off booted up each time etc.

Then I ran into a problem like yours, it would boot up as normal, ASUS screen would come up but then the screen would stay black, pretty much exactly what you describe in the OP.

My problem turned out to be, I had plugged in another screen, my TV to be precise and whenever both the TV and monitor were connected it would always do the above.
I had to disconnect one display and re boot PC and it would start fine, plug in cable for other monitor and that would then come on.

I had the display settings set up wrong and since I sorted them out it is booting up fine everytime.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I have the PC connected to my TV, an LG BX. No other monitors are connected.
Mine is a monitor and an LG CX.

My problems started when I connected the CX but its sorted now. Its very similar to your problem really. First boot would generally stay with a black screen, 2nd try it would work.

Trying to think if I had to do anything to my actual TV settings as well.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Mine is a monitor and an LG CX.

My problems started when I connected the CX but its sorted now. Its very similar to your problem really. First boot would generally stay with a black screen, 2nd try it would work.

Trying to think if I had to do anything to my actual TV settings as well.
I think it's worth the OP investigating this further. Thanks for sharing.

@BreGel do yoh have another TV or monitor you could try?

BreGel

Yeah I have a 1440 144hz dell. I’ll go and connect it up and see how it goes. Had my old pc connected to the LG BX and never had any problems.

BreGel

Would you believe it. Just tried it on the dell and it’s booted up 5 times in a row. Now I know what the problem is. It’s almost like it’s booting up to fast for the tv. On the monitor the little circle of dots that appears barely appear on screen then the monitor flickers a few times then it totally loaded. Take, literally 5 sec in total to boot To login screen. Now I need to find out why the tv is doing this

BreGel

I originally connected the monitor using the display port and it worked fine. When I try connecting using hdmi (I tried 2 different hdmi cables) the monitor is on but nothing appears on the screen.
could there be a problem with the hdmi slot on the graphics card ?

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I originally connected the monitor using the display port and it worked fine. When I try connecting using hdmi (I tried 2 different hdmi cables) the monitor is on but nothing appears on the screen.
could there be a problem with the hdmi slot on the graphics card ?
Is it the same for both HDMI ports? Theres two on my 3080 strix. What HDMI cable is it? I'm using a 2.1 cable.

Can you load up the PC just with the monitor using the display port, then when its loaded connect the TV and see if TV comes on then.

Then see what current settings the TV has in the PC display page. It might be something to do with the settings as that was my issue.

BreGel

I think it’s the hdmi port on the card. If I have the display port cable and the hdmi cable plugged in to both the pc and monitor the post screen comes up then I get a black screen. If I pull the hdmi cable out of the pc the pc has actually booted up and it’s on the login screen. Then