New PC or upgrade from 2011?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Gosh, generous! I wasn't expecting anymore help and provisionally made a spec for £1322 with a compromise on the InWin503 case (sorry about my rant on cases earlier and I do quite like your suggestions - although I don't want to pay for the LEDs).
Same CPU and RAM. I only chose the basic motherboard* and only a 2gb card (allowed much smaller power supply). I didn't understand the M2 HD advantage and would probably go for a 3TB HHD as a 2nd beyond the 1st 500GB SSD.

*If the wrong motherboard is chosen does this suddenly limit the quantity of USBs? I was assuming if you bought a case with loads of slots and a motherboard that didn't fill them the order spec would be rejected as incompatible?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
nd I do quite like your suggestions - although I don't want to pay for the LEDs).
What LEDs? Other than the LEDs to tell you it's switched on that pretty well every case/ PC has it doesn't have LED lighting. The Inwin503 does have an LED fan. Or Do you mean you want a case with LED fans included?

I only chose the basic motherboard*
If you're buying for photography, I gather USB 3.1 Type C can be useful for photographers. Not really sure how since I'm not one myself, external storage I guess, but if you only buy every 7 years or so you probably want the most up to date USB interface available for futureproofing.

I didn't understand the M2 HD advantage and would probably go for a 3TB HHD as a 2nd beyond the 1st 500GB SSD.
An M.2 drive can be an NVMe drive like the 970 Evo or WD Black, which is just faster.

I suggested the Noctua cooler and RMX PSU as they're extremely quiet and very high quality and pair well with the Fractal case for quiet. The RMX suggestion was not for the wattage but for the quality. I have the sister model, an RMi, that I'm very happy with and it is literally silent.

For an overclocked system such as I posted the Noctua is ideal.

I was assuming if you bought a case with loads of slots and a motherboard that didn't fill them the order spec would be rejected as incompatible?
Sometimes. But not if you select a case with USB C at the front and a mobo that doesn't support it.