New PC setup and Fan control

synkrotron

Hi Peeps,

When you get your PC is is down to the user to install and set up any necessary fan control software?

I ask because when my eldest son was round the other day he asked me, "why are all of your fans on full pelt even though it isn't really doing anything at the moment?"

I couldn't answer that.

Last time I had a desk top it was back around the late 1990's, early 2000's and I built it myself and, from "hazy" memory I did have to spend a little bit of time getting it so that the CPU fan, for instance, only wound up to high speed when the CPU got above a certain temperature. And I was also able to control the speed of my case fans as well.

When we looked further into what software was installed on my new PC, nothing at all was there for optimising fans speeds.

Then I thought it would be a good idea to check that box of stuff the PCS package up which contains a load of unused hardware and cables, and there was a DVD for the motherboard. So I spun that up and found something called AI Suite. When that was installed it also provided a utility called Fan Xpert 4.

I guess what I am asking here is why isn't a PC optimised "in the shop," so to speak? Is it because we are all considered to be experts and know what we are doing?

We looked at Fan Xpert and were able to adjust the settings for the CPU fan and "Chassis fan 1," which turned out to be the back fan. But as best as I can tell, none of the other fans, two front and two top, could be controlled, so I think that they are still at full speed when the CPU is still sitting at 33 deg C.

Does this mean that, not only have I got to install and tweak software for fan control, I also have to check out that each fan is connected to the correct connection on the controller card?

I should probably explain that I specified a Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 case, which comes with a fan controller card, so perhaps I shouldn't mess with that. Or should I? Surely the Fan Xpert utility should be able control the speed of all the fans. Or am I wrong here? I obviously have a lot to learn...

cheers

andy

jerpers

Master
ON your case, the fans connected to the fan controller are operated from a switch one the front of the case, with 2 speeds IIRC. If you want to control the other fans with Fan Xpert you will need to have them connected to the motherboard.

I use Speedfan myself. It is not a fantastic UI but allows full control of PWM fans and they can be tied to CPU or GPU temperature.

EDIT: I have just double checked. If the top left connector on the fan hub in the case is connected to the motherboard you will need the slider behind the door in left position to have PWM control of the fans.

Last edited:

synkrotron

Thanks jerpers :)

A classic case of RTFM at my end. Invariably I am in a dark/poorly lit room (on purpose) and I didn't even see that slider.

I really should get those manuals out... And give them a good read haha!

I still can't tell if the front and top fans are PWM and with the slider all the way to the left the fan speeds simply drop to a nice slow, and almost silent level. But none of the fans associated with that slider are offered up for control by Fan Xpert.

While just browsing the interwebs the CPU temp hovers between 35 ~ 40 deg C and the CPU fan sits between 250 ~ 300 RPM. The Back Fan varies between stopped and

PCH temp is a bit higher at just over 40 deg C so perhaps I should keep my eye on that one...

If I start my fractal generator, which makes CPU usage jump to 100% on all cores, the CPU temp eventually gets up to 55 deg C and fan speed increases to 700 RPM.

None of the four main case fans increase speed while the CPU temp rises so I can only assume that they are not wired up to the PWM connection. Which I'm not too worried about at the moment because now that I know I can drop their speeds down to the point where they are almost silent, and the CPU fan and Back Fan copes with the temps then, yeah, I'm a happy teddy.

Thanks again :D

cheers

andy