New PC..

Clown

Hey guys, I have just ordered this PC, would you suggest I make any changes? I will be using this for gaming, multitasking, possible video/image editing.

Case

COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£82)
Overclocked CPU
OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-980X (3.33GHz @ max 4.00GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, INTEL X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5770 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
Bigfoot Killer 2100 PCI-E Gigabit LAN Card - Max Performance Online Gaming (£69)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£148)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Surge Protection
Belkin 8-Socket 2M SurgeMaster with £175,000 Protection Warranty! (£18)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

I'm unsure whether to upgrade to the HAF 932, what do you think?

Thanks. :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

Looks like a great spec you've chosen there. My only point is it's a little out of balance on the CPU/GPU side - you could downgrade the CPU a little and get a more powerful graphics card, and probably still save a little. Consider the i7-960 with the 5970, a better spec, great for gaming and cheaper! :D

As you've only just placed the order, amending it is easy, you can do it online in your account.

Matt

Bright Spark
Welcome to our forums :)

Looks like a great spec you've chosen there. My only point is it's a little out of balance on the CPU/GPU side - you could downgrade the CPU a little and get a more powerful graphics card, and probably still save a little. Consider the i7-960 with the 5970, a better spec, great for gaming and cheaper! :D

As you've only just placed the order, amending it is easy, you can do it online in your account.

+1 good advice.

Clown

Thanks very much. :)

I'm not much of a hardcore gamer, I was going to leave the option to add another 5770 or replace it with a newer GPU.

I don't buy new computers often, so I was thinking the CPU would last until my next purchase, adding another GPU is far easier than upgrading the CPU, the cost isn't a worry.

What do you think?

Matt

Bright Spark
Thanks very much. :)

I'm not much of a hardcore gamer, I was going to leave the option to add another 5770 or replace it with a newer GPU.

I don't buy new computers often, so I was thinking the CPU would last until my next purchase, adding another GPU is far easier than upgrading the CPU, the cost isn't a worry.

What do you think?

Well in that case i say you're good to go. Adding a GPU is definitely easier than adding a new cpu. :)

Sleinous

Author Level
CPU: Loving it
Memory: Absolutely loving it! Same as mine and it's beasty stuff.
Mobo: Great
HDD: Woot, you went for the best HDD on the page imo :D
PSU: Hmm.... a TX 650W for such a nice system? :( an SLI has pretty much gone out the windows with that PSU, considered the HX100W modular? or the TX 850W atleast?

Other than that, looks like it'll be a beast of a PC

Matt

Bright Spark
CPU: Loving it
Memory: Absolutely loving it! Same as mine and it's beasty stuff.
Mobo: Great
HDD: Woot, you went for the best HDD on the page imo :D
PSU: Hmm.... a TX 650W for such a nice system? :( an SLI has pretty much gone out the windows with that PSU, considered the HX100W modular? or the TX 850W atleast?

Other than that, looks like it'll be a beast of a PC

The psu he has is more than enough for x2 5770's, if he goes down that route.

Darko

hell yes, i7-980x is overprices, you can go for the lowers even i7-930 and get the best graphic card:)

woops
edited.
Just seen the above posts:)
ignore this!

Clown

PSU: Hmm.... a TX 650W for such a nice system? :( an SLI has pretty much gone out the windows with that PSU, considered the HX100W modular? or the TX 850W atleast

I'm not up on PSU's, would that be overkill? The PCS calculator recommended a 600W PSU.

Sleinous

Author Level
For now yes, but if you pop another 5770 in there (just to give you an idea of what youd need when you eventually buy that second card) you should see a warning message saying there won't be enough power for 2x 5770s and a 980X

Matt

Bright Spark
For now yes, but if you pop another 5770 in there (just to give you an idea of what youd need when you eventually buy that second card) you should see a warning message saying there won't be enough power for 2x 5770s and a 980X

Hmm, this i don't know. :confused:

Sleinous

Author Level
I take that all back lol, i'm thinking of the wrong graphics card, yes 650W should be enough, hopefully. You'll soon know if it isnt as there'll be termites pouring out from the case and lots of smoke bellowing out!

Matt

Bright Spark
I take that all back lol, i'm thinking of the wrong graphics card, yes 650W should be enough, hopefully. You'll soon know if it isnt as there'll be termites pouring out from the case and lots of smoke bellowing out!

I thought i was right but i was not going to question the mighty Slien. :)

Clown

Ah okay, thanks. :)

Meds

IMO, the HAF 922 will do the job just fine. It's cooling is pretty much on par with the HAF 932, just it is slightly smaller and doesn't have a clear window on the side.

Clown

IMO, the HAF 922 will do the job just fine. It's cooling is pretty much on par with the HAF 932, just it is slightly smaller and doesn't have a clear window on the side.

Great, then it looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. :D