New PCS PC : Windows Error 41

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
New PC has arrived, safe & sound. Package arrived bang in the middle of the window I was given. Many thanks PCS for getting this out to me so quickly. Your effort is much appreciated !

PC package as it arrived, loaded on back of van.

Packaging inside house :-

Well packed inside crate. PC in protective bag, everything very neatly placed. Good effort that

Image with my hard drives installed :-

Now I'm off to switch the thing on and get things installed etc. I may be some time......

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
The PC just tripped the ring main circuit breaker in my house. I actually used a different ring main to connect to...unbelievable.

I just disabled "Fast startup" in windows settings, that's the only thing I've done to alter anything on the PC. I can't believe that's what's triggered it. I'm wondering if I should leave the UPS ON continually. I am one for switching everything off when not in use. [Update. I'm leaving the UPS ON, with ErP enabled in the BIOS. That's the best way forward I think]

I installed my apps, shut the PC off, switched my UPS off, just to test the restart. Switched ON the UPS [with pc connected] and BAM, it triggered the trip. It's an obvious surge on the PC causing it. The UPS is showing a current draw of 70 Watts on the system, when the PC is basically idle.

Seriously I'm at a complete loss now.

EDIT. Just checked to see whether the USB ports are powered when the PC is shut down, they are. I actually enabled Erp on my first build in order to power down the USB ports when the system was shut down.

EDIT 2. Just switched UPS/PC back onto original ring main. Switched UPS on, with PC connected, and no trip. This issue is intermittent. I'm leaving the UPS ON all the time here

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I notice from your original spec that you're using the CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET PSU and whilst I'm just guessing it wouldn't surprise me that there could be a large current draw at power on. A call to PCS would confirm that.

What's the rating of the breaker that it trips and what else is on that circuit?

Is it an earth leakage circuit breaker? There is a slim chance there is an earth leakage from somewhere in that case, though I believe they can be overly sensitive. I'd call PCS on that one too.

IMO a UPS should be on all the time in any case, mine is - but then my PC is on 24 x 7. I'm guessing that the battery on the UPS is able to provide the instantaneous startup current that otherwise trips the breaker.

On balance I don't think you have a problem but I would call PCS just to be on the safe side. :)

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
@ubuysa

YUP.

Original ring main is a Legrand B16 [16A], one that tripped on the new setup is a Legrand B20 [20A]

I've now switched back to the 16A circuit, which has a freezer, tv, dvd player, all the PC stuff. Everything I have that isnt used is switched OFF when not in use on that breaker.

IMO a UPS should be on all the time in any case, mine is - but then my PC is on 24 x 7. I'm guessing that the battery on the UPS is able to provide the instantaneous startup current that otherwise trips the breaker.

Duly noted [That bolded section from above] . I'll leave it on and see what happens. Just a hunch, I bet it doesn't trip out again. If that's the solution, I'm delighted.

I'll give it a day or 2, see what happens, then phone up PCS.

Apart from that everything is going very well. Love the machine.

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
^ Oops, that'd do it.

Thanks for that link @ubuysa , much appreciated !!

For reference :-

Inrush Current
Inrush current, or switch-on surge, refers to the maximum, instantaneous input-current drawn by an electrical device when it is first turned on. Because of the charging current of the APFC capacitor(s), PSUs produce large inrush-current right as they are turned on. Large inrush current can cause the tripping of circuit breakers and fuses and may also damage switches, relays, and bridge rectifiers; as a result, the lower a PSU's inrush current right as it is turned on, the better.

Last edited:

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
Well, I've been up for most of the night testing this new PC out. The error 41 issue that I had, caused by encoding, has now gone completely. It is absolutely smashing its way through any task that is thrown at it. The machine is superb, for my needs.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank @moosEh , @ubuysa , @Oussebon , @SpyderTracks for their help, kindness , and patience, in helping me through this situation. You are all a credit to PCS.

I would not hesitate to buy another PC from PCS or recommend them to anyone thinking of buying a PC.

Thanks again, take care

Brian

PS For anyone out there reading this, with Windows error 41 issues, you have my deepest sympathy. It is horrid by its total vagueness..

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, I've been up for most of the night testing this new PC out. The error 41 issue that I had, caused by encoding, has now gone completely. It is absolutely smashing its way through any task that is thrown at it. The machine is superb, for my needs.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank @moosEh , @ubuysa , @Oussebon , @SpyderTracks for their help, kindness , and patience, in helping me through this situation. You are all a credit to PCS.

I would not hesitate to buy another PC from PCS or recommend them to anyone thinking of buying a PC.

Thanks again, take care

Brian

PS For anyone out there reading this, with Windows error 41 issues, you have my deepest sympathy. It is horrid by its total vagueness..
I’m so pleased and hope you get many many years enjoyment out of it! Do use the forum for any issues if you encounter them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Thanks again, take care

Brian

You're more than welcome, I'm delighted that your new PC is working perfectly. :)

I have bookmarked this thread and I will use if as a reference in the future. You have had probably the worst disappointment that any PCS customer could suffer, yet your reasonable, measured, and above all, polite, postings are a credit and an example to all on how to complain. (y)

I don't expect PCS to make public whatever went catastrophically wrong with the shipment of your original order but, speaking purely personally, it would be useful if PCS were to post on this thread when the root of the problem has been identified and eliminated, so that potential customers reading this thread are aware that what happened to you can never happen again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You're more than welcome, I'm delighted that your new PC is working perfectly. :)

I have bookmarked this thread and I will use if as a reference in the future. You have had probably the worst disappointment that any PCS customer could suffer, yet your reasonable, measured, and above all, polite, postings are a credit and an example to all on how to complain. (y)

I don't expect PCS to make public whatever went catastrophically wrong with the shipment of your original order but, speaking purely personally, it would be useful if PCS were to post on this thread when the root of the problem has been identified and eliminated, so that potential customers reading this thread are aware that what happened to you can never happen again.

I couldn’t agree more, this is the way to handle a warranty issue, no matter how big or small, I think you’ve dealt with it admirably from start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
Just thought I'd issue an update on the PC. It has performed without issue for the 8 last months, flawlessly actually. I had one Windows 10 culmative update trash the system, but hey, that's to be expected every now and then.

Real luxury feel to this thing.

Take care all, and thanks again PCS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just thought I'd issue an update on the PC. It has performed without issue for the 8 last months, flawlessly actually. I had one Windows 10 culmative update trash the system, but hey, that's to be expected every now and then.

Real luxury feel to this thing.

Take care all, and thanks again PCS
Brilliant news!