New Purchase

New purchase. Primarily to use for Photoshop and Lightroom. I may be coerced into a game or two, but primarily for photo editing. I will be connecting to a Synology 918+ with two 8TB WD Red drives in Raid 1.
If I have missed something please advise so I can add it to the build before it is too late. Many thanks.

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte 4K IPS 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (3840x2160) (No G-Sync)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
FREE Warhammer: Vermintide 2 & XMorph Defense w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 OC 1480 MHz - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD
2nd Hard Disk
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS, 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS, 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT ITALIAN KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on DVD
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Price £1,772.00 including VAT and delivery

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would highly advise against the seagate firecuda’s, they’re expensive and not very good performers. A small 500gb M2 drive for the os and larger 7200rpm HDD for data would be a better match?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Agreed with the above. An SSD will be much faster than an SSHD for your OS, programs, and photo editing/ photoshop

I have plans to add two 500GB M.2 Samsung 970 SSDs once I have a bit more money to pay for them. I checked many reviews on the Firecuda and they stood up well in those, hence my choosing them. The speeds were not hugely faster than other HDD but I thought they were worth trying. If needed I can add 7200rpm drives at a later date. Thank you for the advice, and I am looking forward to using the laptop for the first time.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have plans to add two 500GB M.2 Samsung 970 SSDs once I have a bit more money to pay for them. I checked many reviews on the Firecuda and they stood up well in those, hence my choosing them. The speeds were not hugely faster than other HDD but I thought they were worth trying. If needed I can add 7200rpm drives at a later date. Thank you for the advice, and I am looking forward to using the laptop for the first time.

You might want to also check this thread, it's not the only one complaining of dismal performance from the Firecuda - especially with Windows Update. It's quite easy to make an SSHD look good by using a data access pattern that 's satisfied mostly from the cache, real world use from posters on here (and the thread I mention isn't the only one) is not good.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You might want to also check this thread, it's not the only one complaining of dismal performance from the Firecuda - especially with Windows Update. It's quite easy to make an SSHD look good by using a data access pattern that 's satisfied mostly from the cache, real world use from posters on here (and the thread I mention isn't the only one) is not good.

I’d highly recommend reading this too, they’re not good drives, I’ve had one and they perform worse than a standard 7200rpm drive but cost far more. Their performance degrades significantly over time also.

I’d highly recommend reading this too, they’re not good drives, I’ve had one and they perform worse than a standard 7200rpm drive but cost far more. Their performance degrades significantly over time also.

Thank you for the advice. I have just called them and added a Samsung 2TB SSD and removed the Firecuda drives. I had to man up and pay the extra £288 but it will be worth it. I will add the M.2 SSDs when my account recovers.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I have plans to add two 500GB M.2 Samsung 970 SSDs
Just to warn you that the configurator claims you can only use either 1 x M.2 NVMe or 2 x M.2 Sata, but not 2 x M.2 NVMe in the M.2 ports.

They have said this before about a laptop where a user was able to use both M.2 ports with NVMe SSDs, but the official position from PCS according to the warning in the configurator is that you won't be able to.

Just to warn you that the configurator claims you can only use either 1 x M.2 NVMe or 2 x M.2 Sata, but not 2 x M.2 NVMe in the M.2 ports.

They have said this before about a laptop where a user was able to use both M.2 ports with NVMe SSDs, but the official position from PCS according to the warning in the configurator is that you won't be able to.

If I decide to purchase another Samsung SSD, do I need an install to secure the drive in place, or does it slot in? As I may purchase a larger SSD and leave the M.2 slots empty.