New Rig!

JaM1e

Bronze Level Poster
Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS SE GAMING TOWER (Windowed)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4770k (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW) (Special Offer)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans
2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Zx 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Monitor
IIYAMA GB2773HS-GB1 27" Gaming Monitor
Keyboard & Mouse
Razer® Black Widow 2013 Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Mouse
Razer® Deathadder 2013 Gaming Mouse
Gaming Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 2013 Large Speed Mouse Mat
Headsets
Razer Tiamat 7.1 Gaming Headset
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH
Miscellaneous
FREE ASSASSINS CREED BLACK FLAG with GTX 660 & 7 Series GPUs!

So the above has just arrived and I have to say I am more than impressed! It's such a beautiful beast! Everything works perfect and everything is in it's place. Credit to DPD as well they e-mailed me at 8:20 to say delivery would be between 8:39 & 9:39, turned up at 8:39 on the dot and brought both boxes in for me!

I'm not fully up and running just yet, installing drivers etc takes forever! My only concern is that the PC was so quiet at first however it sounds now like the fans are running overtime? Even when the system reboots they sound as if they are really going... not sure if I should be concerned or not?

Also any tips on Windows 8.1 would be great, I managed to figure out how to log in without having to put my password in every time, however on every boot it asks me to select a web browser when I've installed and using Firefox... anyone know how to make it stop!? Not tried any games yet but I'm sure looking forward to it!!!

Oh and another thing, I'm unsure of which audio jacks go where on my sound card as they aren't color coded on the machine it's self, they are all black? Any advice on that would be much appreciated. *Edit* Nevermind they are clearly indicated on the Sound Blaster booklet!!!

P.S. Sorry for the image quality!

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The noise issue is probably related to this...
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
The H100i is a noisy beast of a cooler, I do hope you plan to overclock that chip to the absolute maximum otherwise you are going to have an extremely noisy cooler with little need for it.

The browser choice thing is a Microsoft update that makes you choose your browser, tell it you want firefox and it should stop.

JaM1e

Bronze Level Poster
Well I suppose I have little choice now haha :) well as long as I know that's normal I'm okay with it, won't be able to hear with my headset on anyway!

I'm having a bit of an issue picking up my Tiamat headset, doesn't show in the audio options or when I use Razer Synapse... I'm sure I've plugged the audio jacks into my sound card... any ideas?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The corsair software offers you different profiles for the fan speed. You can choose quiet/silent to decrease the noise.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The corsair software offers you different profiles for the fan speed. You can choose quiet/silent to decrease the noise.

Yeah definitely do that if your not overclocking.

As far as the headset goes, I have no idea. The most difficult little niggles I have had to solve on my own rigs over the years have all been sound related. I see your speakers are connected alright how are they connected? You can connect your headphones to the front ports on your chassis, see if they work with that. They will still take the feed from the soundcard.

if your already plugging them into the front ports then it may be the extension cable from the front ports to the soundcard is not plugged in properly... That's an easy fix if it turns out to be the case though.

JaM1e

Bronze Level Poster
Well the speakers are connected straight into the mobo audio jack, the headset i've plugged into the sound card direct? so I don't have to plug into the sound card direct in order to benefit from it? will defo get the corsair software thanks!

Hm I feel I may have made the wrong decision with the Tiamat headset... it doesn't appear to be compatible with the sound card I have chose. After hours of fiddling around with settings I still can't them to sound any where near as good as my previous head set. What's PCS policy on returns? I'd much rather have a different pair to these.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Well the speakers are connected straight into the mobo audio jack, the headset i've plugged into the sound card direct? so I don't have to plug into the sound card direct in order to benefit from it? will defo get the corsair software thanks!

Hm I feel I may have made the wrong decision with the Tiamat headset... it doesn't appear to be compatible with the sound card I have chose. After hours of fiddling around with settings I still can't them to sound any where near as good as my previous head set. What's PCS policy on returns? I'd much rather have a different pair to these.
Unless their something wrong with it I don't think you can get a refund for lack of compatibility. Best thing is to contact PCS directly for an official response.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
So you have sound coming out of em now?

If your pluggingbthe speakers into the motherboard then I suspect your doing itvwrong. They should be connected to the soundcard via the rear ports with the headset connected via the front audio ports.