New Speakers WITHOUT EU power save

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
Ok

I'm currently using a set of Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speakers which I got in Circa 2014 (with my first PCS order)

They're still running fine and I'm very happy except for...

The fricking EU mandated power save feature that you can't turn off, which means after 10 mins of no sound, your speakers auto turn off, and when they next detect sound they turn on.

Sounds ok really, and it would be except that Creative did a really crap implementation which means there's 3 -5 second delay before they reactivate, which means that you always miss the start of a song/podcast/YouTube video/notification.

Yes there are 'fixes' like perm playing a sound out of human hearing range to fool the speakers into thinking a sound is always playing, tied into task schedular so you can run it constantly from login to logout. I've tried them all, none work for me under win 10 or 11

Sooooooooo

I'm looking for suggestions for a speaker system that doesn't suffer from this with the same kind of footprint and audio quality as the T20's without the damned power save thing (or an instant on response if it does)

Any suggestions guys?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok

I'm currently using a set of Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speakers which I got in Circa 2014 (with my first PCS order)

They're still running fine and I'm very happy except for...

The fricking EU mandated power save feature that you can't turn off, which means after 10 mins of no sound, your speakers auto turn off, and when they next detect sound they turn on.

Sounds ok really, and it would be except that Creative did a really crap implementation which means there's 3 -5 second delay before they reactivate, which means that you always miss the start of a song/podcast/YouTube video/notification.

Yes there are 'fixes' like perm playing a sound out of human hearing range to fool the speakers into thinking a sound is always playing, tied into task schedular so you can run it constantly from login to logout. I've tried them all, none work for me under win 10 or 11

Sooooooooo

I'm looking for suggestions for a speaker system that doesn't suffer from this with the same kind of footprint and audio quality as the T20's without the damned power save thing (or an instant on response if it does)

Any suggestions guys?
As with everything, there's always a workaround... have you tried this one?

If you've tried that one and it doesn't work, what's your budget as always?

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
I've tried numerous solutions.

Budget? lets say up to £100 (with a bit of flex) , similar footprint and sound quality to the Creative is essential though, I don't have a lot of space on my desk.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
Yes it doesn't work, I don't mess with the volume settings on either speaker or PC very much and I'm certainly not going to turn the speaker knob up or down every 10 minutes to turn it back on, not least because I'd have to move the PC to get to it and frankly I don't feel like I should have to, it's a speaker it should 'just work' as it doesn't it'll be sold and something that does 'just work' will take its place.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes it doesn't work, I don't mess with the volume settings on either speaker or PC very much and I'm certainly not going to turn the speaker knob up or down every 10 minutes to turn it back on, not least because I'd have to move the PC to get to it and frankly I don't feel like I should have to, it's a speaker it should 'just work' as it doesn't it'll be sold and something that does 'just work' will take its place.
I don't think you understood the workaround? You don't need to change volumes once you've set the correct pc volume. You just use the volume controls on the speaker going forward and it prevents them going into sleep.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
I can't get to the volume control, it's on a shelf, in a corner, behind the PC, and it's RH control so I can't even switch it to left where I could get to it.

I also don't want to be endlessly fiddling with a control because of a poor implementation of a stupid EU measure.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I can't get to the volume control, it's on a shelf, in a corner, behind the PC, and it's RH control so I can't even switch it to left where I could get to it.

I also don't want to be endlessly fiddling with a control because of a poor implementation of a stupid EU measure.
Ok, just verifying you know it's got a working workaround, if it still doesn't fit your needs, then something else is gonna be more suitable. We'll have to rule out Logitech though and go for a far smaller manufacturer.

It's difficult because that price bracket is a little sparse, they're either quite budget 2.0 systems, or they suddenly jump up to bigger 2.1 and above systems costing substantially more.

These are really good though for £110 for a 2.0 system, actively powered, a big step up from your current ones in performance. You could connect them via Bluetooth, or use optical or a 3.5mm audio jack to 2 RCA, plus of course you can easily connect your mobile / tablets to them over bluetooth. They're quite a fully featured set, also come with a remote control.

Some reviews: