New Spec Queries

MasterTed

Hi all,

Was hopping for a bit of feedback on a possible spec for a pretty extreme gaming rig. My main concerns are around the sound card, case and ssd as i have little knowledge on this front. Any feedback is appreciated thanks in advance

Case
PCS SR-819 RGB FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900KS (4.0GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs WIFI - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)- I understand 16gb would probagbly be fine
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare with select NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What’s it for?

Why the soundcard?

What monitor are you pairing it with? What resolution and refresh rate or make and model if you’re unsure?

MasterTed

The pc will be for extreme gaming, monitor is a 144hz hp omen I currently run standard 1920x1080, not 4k though so I'd eventually replace it to a 4k monitor. I ask about sound cards because I have absolutely no knowledge on the impact of using the default or changing to one of the others. Cheers

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Onboard audio is fine, no need for a sound card.

The 2080 ti is a massive, massive waste on that monitor. And buying it now to upgrade the monitor "eventually" means you'll end up 1) not using that GPU's full potential for a long while and 2) finding that newer, faster, cheaper GPUs are available by the time you do. Overbuying on the GPU is never a good futureproofing strategy.

32gb RAM is also a waste, 0 benefit to more than 16gb RAM, now or in the future for gaming.
By the times games can use more than 16gb, your PC will be obsolete to the point RAM quantity won't be an issue.

You could easily trim things off the PC, and save enough to buy a decent monitor as well.

Also, why 4k? What are your favourite kinds of games? Shooters? Strategy? open world RPGs?

MasterTed

In terms of favourites all of the above I like playing a bit of everything 4k for me will be essential. In terms of the monitor it would be likely a month or 2 after buying the pc so it wouldn't be a crazy wait. The ram I was in the fence about so glad to get some advice. I'm gonna play when I buy the pc by ear if there is something on for black Friday/cyber Monday I would do it end of this month if not I may wait till December and do everything, including monitor, then.

But say I have the monitor everything else is looking good except the things alrwsy mentioned prior? Cheers

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you're playing competitive shooters then 4k may not be the best option due to the lower refresh rate monitors (60hz) and the lower framerates.

Also at 4k, the CPU is less relevant to performance than at lower resolutions as you're going to be GPU limited in most modern demanding games. So there's no benefit to spending £700 for a 9000KS on a super expensive mobo versus £700 or so less on an R5 and a B450 mobo. Or £400 less on an R7 and an X570 mobo if you really wanted to splash out.

relative-performance-games-38410-2160.png

The i9 isn't really more futureproof either, as by the time you might benefit from the extra performance at 4k there will be much better things on the market anyway.

MasterTed

Okay thanks I'll have a reconsider on some of these parts over the next week and might come back with a revised version. Thanks again for your advice

MasterTed

Case
PCS SR-819 RGB FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900KS (4.0GHz) 16MB Cache
down_right_arrow.gif
FREE Red Dead Redemption 2 & More! w/ select Intel i7 & i9 CPUs!
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Hi all, Please see a revised build,

I am curious on what the thoughts are regarding the AMD 3950X are over Intel. Would love some recommendations on monitors as i would like to sort this also but haven't decided on one yet, 4K or 2560x1440 suited to gaming (No specific game in mind). Thanks in advance