New SSD Installation help.

Remulate

Hey everyone.

I've just purchased a New SSD (delivery tomorrow - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB ) and wish to put my os (win 8.1) onto it as well as a few games and programs, i will also use my HDD for all music and photos ect.
I currently only have a 1Tb wd caviar black for everything at the moment.

i want to do a fresh install also as i can just re download everything i need as i don't have anything important installed on the HDD, the only problem is i have no idea where to begin.

Can any of you explain to me everything i will have to do or point me somewhere that will have the right step by step instructions as i don't want to follow a guide that could potentially be wrong and i wreck something.

i have the windows cd that came with the pc from pcs.

would be greatful for any help. Thanks

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I think the easiest way to install windows to the SSD is to first remove the HDD and install the SSD,making sure you connect it to a SATA 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s) port on the motherboard.Then do a clean install from your OS disk,this will ensure the OS is installed as it should be and avoid any problems with with dual boot and the system reserved partition.
You can then connect your HDD back and format it from the OS on the SSD by right clicking on it in "computer",but first make sure you back up any data files you need.

Last edited:

Remulate

I think the easiest way to install windows to the SSD is to first remove the HDD and install the SSD,making sure you connect it to a SATA 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s) port on the motherboard.Then do a clean install from your OS disk,this will ensure the OS is installed as it should be and avoid any problems with with dual boot and the system reserved partition.
You can then connect your HDD back and format it from the OS on the SSD by right clicking on it in "computer",but first make sure you back up any data files you need

Thank you, how will i go about installing drivers and updates? will this do it automaticly? and this might sound silly but will this effect my over clock?

Edit : forgot to ask will i need to create any partitions on my SSD or HDD?

Last edited:
T

TheGeeza

So long as you overclocked in the bios and not with in-os software your overclock settings will be preserved.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thank you, how will i go about installing drivers and updates? will this do it automaticly? and this might sound silly but will this effect my over clock?
Shouldn't affect the overclock,settings are stored in the bios.
You will need to install drivers from disks provided,you can then update the graphics driver from manufacturers website.
Windows update is usually set to automatic by default.

Remulate

Shouldn't affect the overclock,settings are stored in the bios.
You will need to install drivers from disks provided,you can then update the graphics driver from manufacturers website.
Windows update is usually set to automatic by default.

the only disks i have from when i got the pc are; the windows os disk, nero 12 essentials and the Z-87 series disk.
Or i am being silly and you mean the disk that comes with the SSD?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
the only disks i have from when i got the pc are; the windows os disk, nero 12 essentials and the Z-87 series disk.
Or i am being silly and you mean the disk that comes with the SSD?
No I mean the drivers for your system,most of them will be on the motherboard disk,chipset driver for example,these should always be the first drivers installed.
If you've lost this disk you will need to download them from motherboard manufacturers site and have them ready.

Remulate

No I mean the drivers for your system,most of them will be on the motherboard disk,chipset driver for example,these should always be the first drivers installed.
If you've lost this disk you will need to download them from motherboard manufacturers site and have them ready.

no i have everything that came with the pc.

so first remove the HDD, plug in the SSD to power and sata III, install windows ect. then do i just put the motherboard cd into the disk drive and go from there?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
no i have everything that came with the pc.

so first remove the HDD, plug in the SSD to power and sata III, install windows ect. then do i just put the motherboard cd into the disk drive and go from there?
Basically yes,you may need to reactivate Windows,so have your product key handy.
The graphics card driver will be on a different disk,but you can always download the latest version once you have the LAN driver installed,this will be on the motherboard disk which usually gives you the option to install the drivers automatically when you insert the disk.

Last edited: