New SSD. Old system. Will it work?

kasdoy

So its my birthday in 4 days and ive been gifted a SanDisk SSD. Ill link it here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S9Q9UKS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007ZW2LY4&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1B2JSRYG1R85KMTMY3PQ

However i have an old Gen Rampage formula Mobo. And ill link that https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_FORMULA/.

so what im curious is, I dont see the mobo specify it has a SATA 3/6 connection, which is not suprising as its an old mobo and i guess ssds are relatively new in comparison. So will it work on my system? Or is it a waste of a purchase in regards to what itll actually do for the system(not boost loading speeds etc)? im guessing it probably wont and id rather not bottleneck the pc anymore than i need to, i just want to know so i can return it if need be.

kasdoy

I just double checked and it says, #
Southbridge
6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
JMicron® JMB368 PATA controller
1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66/33 for up to 2 PATA devices

so is xSATA Different to SATA or is it the same? Again, will it work, will it be a retarded (not full utilisation) connection? Is it worht to just waiting till i get a better system with a SATA6 port?

kasdoy

SATA is backwards-compatible, however if you plug it into a SATA 3GB/s port it'll be limited to 3GB/s. As 3Gb/s is 384MB/s, and most SSDs nowadays have read/write speeds in the 400-500 range, you can expect it to run 50~70% slower.
That's still gonna be faster than any HDD, mind you, and probably faster sequential speeds than any 2-HDD RAID0, while keeping the low access time and massively higher multitasking speeds of an SSD.

Another consideration is the operating system; if you're fitting it to a Windows XP system, there's no automatic TRIM support available in the OS, meaning performance might slow after a while, though this can be fixed by periodically running optimization tools included in the software provided by most SSD manufactuers.
In Windows Vista and above, or in OSX and Linux, this isn't a problem.

I'm guessing '6 xSATA' is a typo of '6x SATA', as they do the same for UDMA further down.

tl;dr should work just fine, but won't be quite as fast as it could be

Thanks alot bud, it runs really smooth and now i have all the space i can imagine with my old HDD and External HDD and now this :D. However i experienced an issue earlier while playing leaguie of legends, i was getting some frame drops and then all of a sudden my PC crashed with this horrible BRRRRRR noise on repeat in my headphones... I pinned it to the graphics card most likely, but could that be something to do with the SSD and it being run off that? Is it accessing it too fast or something maybe?

Its just when i look at the difference in size from the HDD to the SSD and i think how is this little thing runnig my whole pc and games and other applications at once... would that be the problem, should i stick to putting games on my HDD and leaving low priority programmes for my SSD?