I received my new system this week:

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 430 BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55 LX: USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS450 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Today I received CORSAIR 4GB 1333MHz which I bought on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/CORSAIR-4GB...1C6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292084250&sr=8-1

I put the RAM in and the PC would not boot at all, no beeps or anything, no power basically. So I removed one of the new sticks and it did boot with a message saying "Overclocking failed" configure set up, or F2 to continue with default values. So I hit F2 and it loaded into Windows fine. All seems good with 6gb running. I haven't tried putting the other stick back in yet.

I was advised on here that the 450watt PSU would handle 8gb. Have I done something wrong? and is my system now bottlenecking now??

Tom DWC

It might have been better to purchase a matching set of RAM and not that of a different brand but it should work just fine in most cases. As both modules are of the same type and frequency it shouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely to be the PSU either as RAM doesn't draw all that much power. It might have been that one of the RAM sticks wasn't seated properly. If you're comfortable doing so then try reinserting the other stick of RAM and let us know the outcome.

It might be a good idea to ring PCS first thing Monday morning and talk this over with the callcentre, or await a staff member response, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the reply.

Well this strange. I think you were right about not seating the memory properly, because I reseated it a lot easier and low and behold the system started up... However, I now have no display going to the monitor? But, if I remove that stick leaving 6gb again, I get display which I'm using right now.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You have a faulty module of the Corsair memory you purchased (ahem, surprise surprise). RAM only requires around 5W per module, so no issues with power. However, it's not a good idea to mix Corsair memory with Samsumg - you will probably find you get no display or frequent crashes and Blue Screens. Why didn't you just order 8GB from us?

I thought Corsair were supposed to be the "beezneez" ?

I chose 4gb, but once the order had been built etc, it was too late to ask for another 4gb. So figured, i'd just order some more myself. Can customers order parts from you? or is that just for faulty / broken systems?