new to optimus vii

Hi I have just got this laptop a few days ago. It has 2 hard drives-240ssd and a 1tb hdd. I am using the ssd How do you switch to hdd drive . I wish to use it for photos and videos but i cant figure out how to use it .Thanks Ian

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Eh? You don't 'switch' to it. You simply choose to save files or software installations into it when asked where to save something.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You'll need to move the folders under C:\Users to the HDD in such a way that Windows "remembers" where they are so that when you save documents, pictures, movies, etc. Windows puts them on your HDD. You have to follow a specific procedure to do this - you can't simply copy them over.

Here's how to do this:

1. Open File Manager and on your HDD create a folder called Users. Under that folder create folders called Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Downloads (and Saved Games and Searches if you use them).

2. Now open the C: drive and then open the Users folder you'll find under there.

3. You'll find a folder under Users with your name, open that. In there you'll see all your user data folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.).

4. Right click on the Documents folder and select Properties from the drop-down list.

5. In the Properties windows click the Location tab. In the windows that opens click the Move button.

6. In the window that opens navigate to the Users\Documents folder that you just created on your HDD and click Select Folder.

7. You'll go back to the window with the Move button but now the destination folder path you just selected will be displayed. Click the Ok button.

8. A warning box will pop up asking whether you want to move all the files to the new destination. Click Yes and the files will be moved, the old Documents folder on C: will be deleted and all your documents will now be under the Users\Documents folder on your HDD. Windows will remember this so that all new documents will be saved on your HDD.

9. Now repeat steps 4 to 8 for the Pictures, Music, Videos, etc. folders as well.

Last edited: