New Toy needs Software

jerpers

Master
Xbox 360 wired controllers are plug and play. Xbox 360 wireless controllers need a specific dongle.

Xbox One controllers and be used using the charge lead plugged in or if they are Bluetooth versions can connect wirelessly if you have a bluetooth controller on your motherboard or as a dongle.

jerpers

Master
Just make sure it is one of the newer style Xbox one controllers that came out with the one s. The older style do not have bluetooth.

img_59b2f3f2bbc5a.png

Just make sure it is one of the newer style Xbox one controllers that came out with the one s. The older style do not have bluetooth.

View attachment 11756

Thanks, I found a link with the new Elite Controller for £49.99 which I thought pricey, but it was worse, as the real price was £119!!!!!! that price needs a lot more thinking about. Will look at what the others available are priced at.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I can't say I've played a real time strategy game with a controller since the days of the first playstation (Warcraft II)

I might have missed something in the thread, but why does the OP need a controller?

Surely for Age of Empires they would be better off sticking to keyboard + mouse/trackball. They can always consider a controller if they get into other kinds of games in the future, but if the OP is struggling to even select and move units in an RTS it's probably better to stick to KB+M and learn on that.

Apparently AOE: DE doesn't even support controllers: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/2857/xbox-one-controller
And the consensus on that community thread is that even if it did, the experience would be awful. Which I entirely believe.

Last edited: