New Ultra 14" ordered! Woohoo!

Couperin

New UltraNote 14" ordered! Woohoo!

Hey Guys,

I'm new to PCS so thought I'd join up and post up the specs for my newly ordered laptop in my excitment. I was researching for ages trying to find a nice looking laptop for use at home for office stuff, film watching and web browsing and a friend mentioned that PCS were pretty good. So checked it out and pulled off a few quotes and ordered myself the below. Its still in Pre-Production at the moment but cant wait to get my hands on it!!!

Would love to hear some comments from people with similar specs and with the service in general. Also any comments on what could be upgraded later on:

UltraNote: 14" Glossy HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1366x768)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-3230M (2.60GHz) 3MB
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 Video Memory Technology up to 1.7GB
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
UltraNote Series: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-2230 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
UltraNote Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (62.16WH) (Up to 7 Hours)
1 x UK Power Lead & 65W AC Adaptor
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

[Note by Rakk: if you were trying to enter smilies they weren't working, all it actually showed was the url to a smilie]

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Upgrading a laptop if not really going to happen, apart from maybe a new HDD or an extra stick of RAM.

I know this isn't the advice section but i will offer some while you can still act on it because it can still be changed when it in pre production. Might be worth considering changing out the HDD for a scorpio black, a nice HDD really makes the system IMO. The faster CPU and copious amounts of RAM wont make up for slow HDD. Could consider dropping to an i3 processor if all your doing is web surfing and general office stuff, saves a bit of cash. Upgrade the thermal paste, laptops love anything that helps cooling and that paste is really good, will help keep the laptop cool and that equals quiet.

So yeah I would try and get any upgrades in now rather than later.

Cant say I have any experience with a similar spec, but I have obviously got my pc from PCS and my brother got his gaming laptop here also, his laptop is a skyfire but is really nice so I doubt you will have any issues with yours.

Just learn to embrace the wait, it's the best part. Or something like that lol :)

Couperin

Thanks for the advice Mantadog! Maybe I can change my order while its in pre-production. Does the hard disk really make that much difference to speed? Anyways thanks again matey!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks for the advice Mantadog! Maybe I can change my order while its in pre-production. Does the hard disk really make that much difference to speed? Anyways thanks again matey!

i'd also go for the Scorpio black drive.

Rakk

The Awesome
Maybe I can change my order while its in pre-production.
Yes you can change things in your order and as long as it's still in pre-production no additional fees are added (once it's in build or later, fees are added cos they would have to start again or redo stuff they had already done)

Couperin

Thanks very much for your advice Guys. I've amended my order for the cooling paste and change the hard disk to a Scorpio black drive. Hope this doesnt effect the waiting time.:eek:

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks very much for your advice Guys. I've amended my order for the cooling paste and change the hard disk to a Scorpio black drive. Hope this doesnt effect the waiting time.:eek:
A couple of changes shouldn't affect the waiting time (unless it's not in stock)

geeovana

Really hope yours is better than mine my friend. I've had mine 6 months now and it's shocking quality! Posting up a full review soon so you can read that

Couperin

Hey Geeovana - shocking quality as in shockingly good quality or shocking quality as in shockingly bad quality? :eek:

Couperin

I'm afraid to say bad in my experience. Not I am going to post a video up in an hour or so so check back in a bit

Hey Geeovana,

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad time with your machine (just been reading your posts). I hope they get it all resolved for you and get you back to a happy point.

I've never ordered from PCS before so I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with the one I've ordered. I need to upgrade my desktop too so if all goes well with this laptop order then they'll be getting alot more business from me in the future.

Why dont you upload some pics of your laptop to your post? I'll like to see it and I guess alot of other people would too.

Couperin

Wow, that was quick! Its now passed testing and is awaiting dispatch? I thought they had to burn in the components in their hot room before the dispatching phase. hmm I wonder if I should contact them regarding delivery as for all I know it might come tomorrow.

Dont worry though I'll be providing pictures and a full review when it arrives.:eek: