New Vortex III 15.6" hd7970m , heat problem

murdokZor

Hi guys, so i just got my new vortex 3 15.6", with the amd hd7970m graphic card..

I ran some test, (furmark) and my GPU raise to 96ºC, that isn´t normal right? (with Artic mx-4), in idle 50 ºc
any know any hint to fix this problem without removing warranty?

Also, i have problems with drivers, i have the drivers installed alrdy but, when i do that, i get blue screen, at my first time i installed them, didnt happened, but i reinstalled them, and i got the error while install progress.

Thanks.

dangro474

Bright Spark
AMD cards are notorious for their relatively high temperatures under heavy load, but 96 is pushing it somewhat.

Were you using GPU-Z to monitor temps? If so, this has most likely registered the highest reading across all of the GPU sensors, most likely the RAM.

My old 5870M used to redline at 94 degrees during stress tests, however while gaming I struggled to push it past 80. Realistically you would be hard pressed to push the GPU useage past 80% while gaming, unlike stress testing with Furmark which will always push the GPU to 100% useage.

What sort of temperatures are recorded while gaming?

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
Even gaming should most of the time push GPU to 98-99%, the only cases where it wouldn't are when the card has easily enough muscle to push 60 fps and v-sync is on.

Furmark is notorious for raising the GPU temperature and isn't really a real life scenario - it has also been known to be able to kill cards. It would be much more interesting to see the graph of how fast the temperature rised to that level, but I agree the temp is that bit high. But there seems to be quite a lot of variation - I checked and reported temps on notebookreview go from 75-95 degrees for furmark.

The first and foremost is to try a repaste. Confirm with PCS that it doesn't void warranty. Also, do you use a notebook cooler / stand. Even a stand will help with the temperatures for a few degrees because it raises the back of the laptop for better hot air flow.

There have been a few "mods" posted that you could try - I don't know what would be PCS take on them in regards to warranty. (check them on notebookreview if you wish, I don't have the link for them at the moment)
1. Using aluminium folio tape to better seal the GPU heatsink for more directed air flow
2. Checking if your heatsink doesn't have enough pressure - GENTLY pushing on each corner to check if the temperature changes.
3. Adding additional copper memory heatsinks to the GPU heatsink and therefore increasing the raw amount of sink that there is (doesn't really help that much with max temps, just makes reaching them slower)