No 2nd HDD on Laptop

kritom

Hello, hoping this is something i've overlooked.

Just opened my new laptop, loaded it up and in 'my computer' i only have local hard disk drive, which is an 80gb ssd, and 'personal safe' which i don't know what that is.

any ideas? i seem to be missing my 500gb hdd, and i don't really want to send it back.

anyway, thanks.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there.Click on start and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.If it's showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive" in the lower half of the screen,click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard,you may only have to assign a drive letter,to do this select change drive letter and paths.
click on the Add button in the next menu and pick a drive letter from the pull down menu.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter,then check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.
If it's not showing in disk management it may have come loose in transit.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Erm, could be, what model laptop do you have, have a look underneath, see if you can undo the odd caddy and have a look inside. There is a chance that it could have been just missed when they built it, they are human! If the worst comes to the worst, they will probably send you one and then guide you on how to put it in over the phone. You shouldn't have to send the laptop back.

It is likely that it has probably come loose, sata hard drives often aren't screwed in and can slip out in laptops. It could just be software, follow vanthus' instructions, then, if it doesn't work, try getting hands on and see if you can access the drive.

kritom

Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there.Click on start and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.If it's showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive" in the lower half of the screen,click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard,you may only have to assign a drive letter,to do this select change drive letter and paths.
click on the Add button in the next menu and pick a drive letter from the pull down menu.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter,then check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.

Yes it worked, thank you very much! :rockon:

/sigh of relief.

PokerFace

Banned

Vanthus...if you had a £ for every time this worked :)

Well helped again!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think Vanthus could handle the Tech help threads single handedly and have a higher success rate than the rest of us put together. :)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I must admit, i read the first post before anything else was posted and instantly thought, 'what would vanthus put? How long till he posts it?' He still beat me, posted whilst I was typing!