No disk drive on the 17.3" Octane?

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
Was literally just about to press "Order" when I thought "Let's have a quick look at the reviews of the chasis." Some one said that there's no disk drive... Is this true? How are you meant to install stuff like Windows and drivers? I know you can by an external drive but it sort of takes away the portability in a way.

leftfield20

Yes it's true, there is no dvd drive but this makes way for great cooling!
I think the thinking is everyone is downloading onto USB sticks for installations nowadays

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Drivers are downloaded onto usb sticks, windows is too, any other programs are all downloaded, there's no need for dvd drives anymore.

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
Drivers are downloaded onto usb sticks, windows is too, any other programs are all downloaded, there's no need for dvd drives anymore.

What if I'm buying Windows with the laptop? Will that come on USB or will it come on CD? Having said all this.. £20 for a slim portable cd drive isn't too bad.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What if I'm buying Windows with the laptop? Will that come on USB or will it come on CD? Having said all this.. £20 for a slim portable cd drive isn't too bad.

Depends what version, if you're getting windows 7 or 8.1 then on a CD, if you're buying windows 10 then it should be supplied on a bootable usb.

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
Depends what version, if you're getting windows 7 or 8.1 then on a CD, if you're buying windows 10 then it should be supplied on a bootable usb.

Will be getting Windows I was thinking I will most likely need a cd drive anyway as still got some games on cd so it's not a massive waste :)