No more forced feature updates for Windows 10

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I notice also they're calling it the May 2019 update now, and not the April 2019 update......

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
How will you waterboard it in future then?
I'll have to make do with something like:

95006_12466103_1259936994023270_8361812911949727127_o.jpg

If I want to torture the poor thing, I'll do what I did yesterday and accidentally tick the "compress OS drive" option in Disk Cleanup.

Guaranteed to break everything. And surprisingly hard to undo...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll have to make do with something like:

View attachment 12829

If I want to torture the poor thing, I'll do what I did yesterday and accidentally tick the "compress OS drive" option in Disk Cleanup.

Guaranteed to break everything. And surprisingly hard to undo...

Well that's certainly more interesting than fish!

There are lots of ways the user can foul up, strangely when they do everyone blames the computer...... ;)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I blame me for clicking things absent-mindedly.

I blame MS for 1) having something of a nuclear option in the hitherto relatively safe 'disk cleanup' options (I swear that never used to be in there - I'd have noticed something saying there were 30gb savings to be had...) and 2) for making the OS not actually disable compression / uncompress the files when you then tell it to do so.

I don't blame the poor victimised PC. :(

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I blame me for clicking things absent-mindedly.

I blame MS for 1) having something of a nuclear option in the hitherto relatively safe 'disk cleanup' options (I swear that never used to be in there - I'd have noticed something saying there were 30gb savings to be had...) and 2) for making the OS not actually disable compression / uncompress the files when you then tell it to do so.

I don't blame the poor victimised PC. :(

Now I'm glad you said that because I was looking at disk cleanup yesterday on the wife's Lenovo. The poor thing only has a paltry 120GB SSD.

I saw the compress your OS drive option and thought exactly that - I was sure it wasn't in that specific spot before.

And I just checked my 1803 version and it's a check box outside of main selection area

How it used to look:

2019_04_08_11_41_35_OSDisk_C_Properties.png

How it now looks:

2019-04-08 11_44_32-Disk Cleanup (compress OS drive) problem.png

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Now I'm glad you said that because I was looking at disk cleanup yesterday on the wife's Lenovo. The poor thing only has a paltry 120GB SSD.

I saw the compress your OS drive option and thought exactly that - I was sure it wasn't in that specific spot before.

And I just checked my 1803 version and it's a check box outside of main selection area

How it used to look:

View attachment 12831

How it now looks:

View attachment 12832

That's interesting because I don't see that (Windows 10 Home 1809). I do have the compress option in the disk properties (as before) but I don't see it in disk cleanup. Is that perhaps a Pro option?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That's definitely still there on my Win 10 Pro 1803 (as well as being in Disk Cleanup), and it's how you're meant to switch the compression off apparently; except it doesn't do that (properly).

I unchecked it, pressed apply, waited for the processing to finish, restarted the system, freshly installed steam for about the 3rd time that afternoon, and saw the newly created Steam folder show up as compressed in Windows Explorer. Needless to say the checkbox was still unchecked. I think I eventually got it with gpedit...

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
That's interesting because I don't see that (Windows 10 Home 1809). I do have the compress option in the disk properties (as before) but I don't see it in disk cleanup. Is that perhaps a Pro option?

Do you know I always thought disk compression was only missing if a disk was formatted FAT/exFAT/FAT32. Alas I have no home editions to compare.

Did a quick search but that level of granularity in terms of features doesn't seem to be available.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Do you know I always thought disk compression was only missing if a disk was formatted FAT/exFAT/FAT32. Alas I have no home editions to compare.

Did a quick search but that level of granularity in terms of features doesn't seem to be available.

I'm all NTFS. I suspect it's a Home/Pro thing.....